Greater Greater Washington comment policyGreater Greater Washington encourages comments from all, regardless of point of view. We hope to build a strong dialogue around the issues discussed. A healthy debate and differing opinions is an important part of making greater.
Welcoming a discussion with multiple points of view does not, however, mean that anyone has the right to post any comment. Comments that attack other commenters or contributors or dissuade others from posting their ideas serve to chill the discussion. We will monitor comments and may, without notice, delete those that violate these guidelines:
- All commenters must treat their fellow commenters, authors, and other
users of the site with respect.
- Comments should address the substance of the argument being made, not the
person making the argument. Arguments which criticize a person rather than
specific ideas are not permitted. Nor are efforts to discredit a contributor
or commenter based on background or past statements, rather than the substance
of the article or comment.
- Name-calling or comments which berate, belittle, or interrogate other
individuals will not be tolerated. If you disagree with someone's ideas, please
make your case using a well-reasoned, logical argument about the issues rather
than the author, his or her motivations, or other personal elements.
- Comments should not discourage other commenters or contributors from
posting their views or suggest someone should not have spoken up. Greater Greater Washington is
a space for people to post ideas and opinions which may or may not be fully
thought through in every detail. If you think something is missing or
incorrect, provide useful additional information rather than criticize another
for posting without that information.
- The comment section is a place many people go to learn more about an issue
and hear more perspectives. "Flamewars" or sniping back and forth between
two commenters, including long arguments about whether someone is consistent or whether
they said a certain thing many comments earlier, do not contribute to a useful
comment area. Please post comments that would be useful to other people reading
rather than just directly arguing with one other specific person.
- You are not required to use your full name to comment here. However, you
must provide a real email address when commenting. Email addresses will not
be disclosed to anyone outside the site's administrators.
- If you use a pseudonym to comment, please be consistent. Stick with the
same name (or "handle") and do not publish multiple comments under various
names. Please also pick a handle that is unique. If another regular commenter
already uses the same one, you may be asked to change yours.
- Impersonating another commenter is not allowed. You should always speak in
your own voice.
- We do not tolerate profanity or abusive language. It is important to keep
the dialogue civil.
- Do not advocate violent acts against any individual. Comments which do so
may be referred to appropriate authorities if necessary.
- It is not appropriate to post the same comment in multiple areas of the
- If you have concerns about another comment, or if your comment was deleted, please email the editors to discuss. Do not post this in the discussion thread itself. Posting comments on the site about the comment policy is not appropriate (except on articles about the comment policy).
Editors may, at their discretion, remove any other comments that do not contribute to a healthy discussion or which fail to treat other commenters or contributors with respect. Editors may also remove any other comments for any reason at their sole discretion.
Greater Greater Washington is not responsible for the content of comments generated by users of the site. By submitting content to the comment section of any post, you agree to comply with this policy and give Greater Greater Washington a perpetual, transferrable, worldwide, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media.
If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please contact the site editors at email@example.com. Thank you for reading Greater Greater Washington and helping to build a strong dialogue.
- 2.5 minutes of extra walking is not nothing
- The Dutch government is trolling DC over marijuana, bike lanes, and streetcars
- I can take the bus from my neighborhood to just about anywhere in DC
- How two families dealt with Metro problems and other transportation options in the snow
- Cities worldwide are building beautiful, landmark pedestrian and bicycle bridges. Could Georgetown be next?
- DC like Amsterdam? We can only hope
- Sidewalk snow shoveling hall of shame: "DC government is the worst offender" (and Arlington too)