Greater Greater Washington

Recent Comments

Because elevated viaducts are a "visual blight" and they obviously aren't going to do it underground.

I actually think street running light rail makes the most since. Easier to hop on and off and the distances covered aren't huge. Plus it will allow for a better placement of the lines/stations.

by h st ll in National Links: From Florida to California on May 1, 2016 11:49 am • linkreport

Why on earth would they propose an at-grade Streetcar to link Miami with Miami Beach (meanwhile conventional elevated rail for lines in suburban Miami that won't carry anyone)? I can't think of too many places in the US outside NY and DC better suited to a high capacity rapid transit link than Miami Beach, so why are they going with a Streetcar running in a stroad that will be stuck in the notorious heavy traffic on and to the island?

by Poncho in National Links: From Florida to California on May 1, 2016 11:44 am • linkreport

Making DC's cabs cashless would be an interesting idea (although I'm not sure how many DC cabs get held up these days?).

I suspect that many drivers wouldn't go for it because payment processing companies gouge them, and also because I'd suspect that many drivers and companies do not honestly report their income.

by andrew in National Links: From Florida to California on May 1, 2016 11:23 am • linkreport

Also Airbnb!

by Whitney in Interning in DC? Here’s how to find a place to live. on May 1, 2016 10:35 am • linkreport

I am fortunate to live in one of the Art Deco houses in Brightwood. It was the primary reason for deciding to move in to the house!

by Todd J in Five great Art Deco buildings in DC on May 1, 2016 10:18 am • linkreport

The dingbat isn't that unique to LA. Chicago's 3+1s are basically the same thing although they often aren't on as deep a lot as those in LA.

Uber like most of the loophole economy Is a mixed blessing. That A normally anti regulation place like Houston is causing problems just makes it even easier to not really sympathize with them.

by Rich in National Links: From Florida to California on May 1, 2016 9:21 am • linkreport

My peeve is people who stand on the left on a moving escalator; it grows when they stand left on one that isn't working at all!!

by Brad Zark in 10 things my internship taught me about transportation in DC on May 1, 2016 9:07 am • linkreport

All we have new coming in to TransIT is Gilligs too. The remaining Thomas-Dennis SL's buses are gone, and the Orions 5's are being replaced by more Gilligs next years. This week, we get our Gilig electric refits in to revenue service, that will be fun.

by Brad Zark in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on May 1, 2016 9:05 am • linkreport

@ oboe:In DC it's a function of just how dysfunctional the traditional taxicab system was (and is).

I generally appreciate your hyperlocal view of things, but you know that Uber's success is not dependent on the fact that Washington (and Amsterdam) cab drivers are a$$h01les.

If that were the case, we would see a difference in Uber use between cities where cabs are well and disfunctionally regulated. That's not what we're seeing.

@ Falls Church:Also, while being an Uber driver is no easy job, for most people it beats being a taxi driver, which is a very dangerous job since you have to carry large amounts of cash.

Uh huh. Keep telling that to yourself. QED.

by Jasper in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 9:53 pm • linkreport

Hi! Sorry to chime into this conversation so late, but I'm throwing this out here:

The Smithsonian is under heat now, because it's renovation plans for the campus behind the Castle include destroying the gardens and entrances there. It's plan is to add underground office and exhibition space, but it means destroying everything behind the Castle.

If office and exhibition space is what is needed, why not have them use the old FBI space? I'm not advocating for keeping that old building, but if we're planning on tearing it down anyways, why not expand the Smithsonian there? It seems it would kill two birds with one stone.

We thought of this while thinking of ways to save the garden. I've no idea what kind of politics would be involved....

What do you all think?

by Susan S in After the FBI moves, Pennsylvania Ave could be reborn on Apr 30, 2016 9:05 pm • linkreport

I think there's an impulse to do the opposite of what Metro's doing with its lighting, which I like in theory, but really depends on actually maintaining the lighting.

In New York, a lot of the light is wasted by being flat and consistent everywhere, which I found extremely unpleasant on a daily basis. Sitting on a platform for 15 minutes transferring to local at 8:30PM, the glare got old. In passageways outside of fare control, maybe not!

If the light were used as a tool to focus attention, it would work a lot better, IMO - lighting surfaces that are tricky (stairs), drawing readers away from the platform, etc. and still keep the soothing feeling.

Overlighting is a very real problem in offices that leads to headaches and stress. No need for it here too. WMATA just has to think about what light does, instead of impulsively lighting everything.

by Neil Flanagan in 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro on Apr 30, 2016 4:45 pm • linkreport

Many still see Los Angeles as an ugly ode to cars and endless concrete, even as the city shifts toward becoming more traditionally urban, dense, and walkable.

Or maybe its because of this...

by vanmo96 in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 3:44 pm • linkreport

I'd guess the requirements for fingerprinting and trade licensing are opposed by Uber drivers.

by Falls Church in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 3:06 pm • linkreport

Though I've never lived in New York, I've ridden the subway there many times and I don't remember it being particularly easy to distinguish one station from another.
----

The signs in New York's station are pretty large, and the station names are in the side wall tiles for the entire length of the station.

And the stations are lit up well enough to be able to see.

by August4 in 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro on Apr 30, 2016 1:54 pm • linkreport

"I'm not sure of the need for an additional West Palm-Ft. Lauderdale to Miami leg, however. Currently, hardly anyone rides the existing line.'
----
At least not when I've ridden it - or drove past the station when a train was there.

by August4 in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 1:50 pm • linkreport

Re; Miami,

Having walked, ridden, and driven in Miami, Coral Gables and Miami Beach, I think the Miami and Miami Beach transit plan (resulting in no more having to suffer the ordeal of driving between Miami and Miami Beach) is a good thing.

by August4 in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 1:47 pm • linkreport

I hope more cities have the "audacity" of forcing Uber to behave like a business. For the life of me, I don't understand why so many "progressive" people forget all their labor-friendly talk when presented with a handy app. Uber is worse than Walmart when it comes to the treatment of the people that work for them.

In DC it's a function of just how dysfunctional the traditional taxicab system was (and is). The situation is a bit like the place that non-public employee unions find them in: at the end of the day, the service providers have an interest in making sure the service provided is at a certain level. Because whatever position you *think* you've bargained yourself into, once you've lost the public, you've lost your leverage.

So, yes, like most folks around here I support labor rights. So long as those workers are holding up their end of the bargain. In DC taxicab drivers (and the companies for which they work) haven't been holding up their end of the bargain for a very long time. So I hope Uber puts them out of business. Then we can look at rebuilding.

by oboe in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 12:27 pm • linkreport

@Peter
While driving back from the Midwest a month or so ago, I saw a brand-new Gillig bus in Ride On livery driving east along I-70 in Ohio. I was pretty surprised to see it, but I'm assuming it was being delivered from the manufacturer. Does anyone know if Ride On placed any orders recently?

by ducktape in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 30, 2016 11:54 am • linkreport

Tashkent's trams are a mixed bag. They do some weird service loops through stalinist empty plazas but also serve some dense old neighborhoods. I did not find them very useful, particularly compared to the Tashkent Underground, which is the largest(and most beautiful) in central asia.

by Richard B in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 30, 2016 11:44 am • linkreport

@Ray B

Where you live now used to be heavily forested at one point. A lot of environmentalists like to point fingers from their once undeveloped neighborhoods. I find that interesting.

In addition, the Cafritz site WAS previously developed. It is mentioned on the projects website.

It was previously developed by the National Capital Housing Authority as the Calvert Homes in 1942. The housing served workers at the ERCO plant which built light aircraft at the end of World War II. The housing was later made available to returning veterans attending the University of Maryland under the G.I. Bill.

by adelphi_sky in Breakfast links: Metro on message on Apr 30, 2016 8:31 am • linkreport

@AlexC: Thanks for the info.

by Dillon The Pickle in Here are the answers to whichWMATA week 82 on Apr 29, 2016 10:03 pm • linkreport

New Affordability, CT

I really like the idea of the affordable housing in CT. I would hope DC, MD and VA immediately copy it.

Uber exit

by Jasper in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm • linkreport

Totally missed this one! Will try the next.

by Andrew in Here are the answers to whichWMATA week 82 on Apr 29, 2016 7:57 pm • linkreport

Does Graham Templeton realize that the incredible unwieldy slowness of the Bitcoin blockchain is one of the biggest barriers to its use in shops? Or understand that when mining rewards end (which is guaranteed by the design of the system) that you'll then have to pay to process transactions, just like with a credit card (only slower)? Or that none of this really has any relevance to water treatment anyway? What a truly bizarre quote to feature.

by DVA in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 7:01 pm • linkreport

@Dillon I believe that at deep-level stations like Wheaton and Forest Glen (and similar stations in other systems, such as Beacon Hill station on the Link Light Rail), the two parallel tunnels for the tracks are bored through the station site first. Then, builders excavate vertical shafts from ground level down to the track level, in order to construct the station platforms in between the two tunnel bores. This is when they perform extra excavation around the bored tunnels in order to construct the larger train room where the platforms will be, and connect the two tunnels via the escalator/elevator lobby. After the platform level has been finished, the vertical shafts between ground level and the platform are utilized as elevator and emergency escape shafts.

by AlexC in Here are the answers to whichWMATA week 82 on Apr 29, 2016 6:23 pm • linkreport

If the metro platform is crowded, I automatically head for the front of the train. The extra 30 seconds of walking on either end are worth it to 1) make sure you get on the train, and 2) have a more comfortable ride with less crushing. I never head for the back, because the last car catches all the people looking for 8 cars but have to rush forward.

My biggest pet peeve are the people who stand in the doorway. Move your @ss into the train so people can get on and off. And if you're getting on, don't you dare stop in the doorway if I am getting on behind you. I have seen so much selfish/oblivious behavior, and no these are not the tourists. People really need to learn how to share space and practice common courtesy. Your desire for a leaning wall does not trump my ability to board the train.

by Chris T in 10 things my internship taught me about transportation in DC on Apr 29, 2016 5:56 pm • linkreport

I have to admit, I've never been there personally, but the Swedes in their capital city of Stockholm seem to have the best subway stations in the world:

Here's a nice 2015 London Guardian article about their 70-mile long art gallery:

I'm looking forward to trying out Berlin's U-Bahn system this summer.

by Mr. Baylor in 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro on Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm • linkreport

@MdE

Made them myself!

by povak in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm • linkreport

It's always nice to see an Internet blog go big-time with a real meatspace location, especially on Connecticut Ave NW. Well done, and I hope your blog and organization continue to grow. I've learned a lot about my hometown reading your posts over the years, and encourage you to keep growing and getting even better.

by Mr. Baylor in Did you know Greater Greater Washington has a home base? on Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm • linkreport

Vision Zero in Alexandria: Only twice in my 62 years have I seen a driver stopped for failing to yield to a pedestrian. Both times were in Alexandria. But instead of twice every 6 decades, I'd like to see it happen twice a day, because that's about how often a driver runs a red light or stop sign while I'm crossing a street.

by Steve Dunham in Breakfast links: Stay safe and share on Apr 29, 2016 5:42 pm • linkreport

@Bill Smith - Proves that techno-libertarians are trying to poison urban planning next?

by Distantantennas in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 5:34 pm • linkreport

The article on the "dingbats" in Los Angeles mentions, almost off-handedly, the issue of safety in earthquakes. Many of these buildings were badly damaged or destroyed in the Northridge earthquake in 1994, and IIRC most of the fatalities were in them.

by Frank IBC in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 5:07 pm • linkreport

What does the Quote of the Week have to do with anything? Need more context.

by Bill Smith in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 4:51 pm • linkreport

Good luck getting Dade County voters to pass a sales tax hike to fund those projects. After getting taken for a ride on the last half-cent public transit tax and getting put over a barrel by the Marlins on their stadium, there's zero appetite for tax hikes and somehow even less trust in the government down there than there was 14 years ago.

They should focus on getting the BayLink and Tri-Rail FEC routes done; those would be huge for transit ridership in South Florida. The rest probably wouldn't pass any reasonable cost/benefit test; I'm dismayed that they keep prioritizing the 27th Avenue line up to the football stadium. There's absolutely no density to support fixed-rail service in that corridor, and the only significant employment center on the route is a campus of Dade College. The FTA rated it a low priority for this reason before; not sure what would change that assessment now.

The east-west line could work if it's built properly, but rather than having it run past the Marlins stadium through dense Little Havana, they'll probably take the cheap route and run it along those train tracks on the airport (I.E., wrong) side of the Dolphin.

by PLK in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm • linkreport

I was recently in Connecticut and was surprised to see the town I was in had a number of construction sites building duplexes. I thought those had died out. No idea if they were being built as a legal requirement for affordable housing.

Re Miami and urbanization,

Man that economist article really tried to make it seem like some weird new thing was happening. Mixed use buildings are neither new nor unusual and the idea of walking to places is apparently foreign to the author as well.

by drumz in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 4:41 pm • linkreport

I lived in LA for 13 years and I lived in a Dingbat apartment. They are as ugly as DC's brutalist architecture

I remember one street on DC where they demolished all the Dingbats for condos and it really improved the whole street.
They look cheap....yes even the ones in Beverly Hills

by Brett Young in National Links: From Florida to California on Apr 29, 2016 4:33 pm • linkreport

Gillig tends to bid on smaller bus orders. Nova Bus, a division of Volvo, makes a transit bus. Chicago and New York have ordered buses from them. The industry could use more competition.

by Mr. Transit in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 4:32 pm • linkreport

Where did you get all the bus art from?

by MdE in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 4:31 pm • linkreport

@ Peter, Craig H
Also not sure why, but Gillig also dominates PG Co's TheBus and UMD's Shuttle-UM.

by Zhang in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 4:14 pm • linkreport

So, what are they doing with the electric bus?

by andrew in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 3:42 pm • linkreport

This was actually very fascinating. Its nice to put (more) pictures to a name and group.

by Lauren in Did you know Greater Greater Washington has a home base? on Apr 29, 2016 3:41 pm • linkreport

@Steve

" A lot are based on median income, but that says nothing about the actual wealth of the minority residents."

Wealthiest majority minority county simply means wealthiest county that happens to be majority minority.

"You could have 45% poor minorities, 10% rich minorities and 45% rich whites and based on median income you'd have a high income majority-minority county."

You could, but that's not the case in Mont. Co. Yes, whites in the county are richer, but the median household income for Asians, Hispanics and blacks are all much higher than national average ($51,759). You can look at census tracts or this document that was created before 2010 Census data was released: http://www.montgomeryplanning.org/research/data_library/trendsheets/documents/incometrendsheet_Sept2011v3.pdf

by DCwalks in Breakfast links: Metro on message on Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm • linkreport

If they'd turn on the damn lights in Metro that would make a huge difference in mood, navigation and safety. One silver lining (no pun intended) is that I always know when I'm passing Friendship Heights: It's pitch black. My daughter is scared of Metro because it's so dark. There are other reasons to be scared to ride Metro, but I don't want to tell her.

by Wendy Book in 8 lessons about great transit I learned riding the Paris Métro on Apr 29, 2016 3:11 pm • linkreport

@Craig H

Not sure, but I know they dominate Ride-on's fleet in Montgomery county which used to be dominated by Orion. WMATA last ordered from Gillig in the 80's or 90's and it was a small order. It has been a long time.

by Peter in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm • linkreport

@DCwalks

I'm not finding any articles that explicitly mention how the the "richest" majority-minority neighborhoods are calculated. A lot are based on median income, but that says nothing about the actual wealth of the minority residents.

by Steve in Breakfast links: Metro on message on Apr 29, 2016 2:45 pm • linkreport

I remember when the NABI and "advanced" New Flyer hybrids started appearing in 2008; I thought they were the coolest looking buses I had seen since the GM and Flxible fishbowls started going away in the '80s. I've been really pleased with the XDE60 articulateds on the S line too!

by maoi in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm • linkreport

This really shows how much New Flyer needs some competition. It looks like they are essentially sole source for WMATA, now that Orion is out of the business and NABI = New Flyer. Does Gillig (the only other manufacturer of transit buses in NA, I think) bid on any of WMATA's bus procurements?

by Craig H. in Get to know all the buses in the Metrobus fleet on Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm • linkreport

That groups like WISH exist show that the business of renting out "microunits" on a month-to-month basis is already pretty established around here. Not just interns, but people on all kinds of contract employment need a small place to stay for a few months.

by Payton Chung in Interning in DC? Here’s how to find a place to live. on Apr 29, 2016 2:23 pm • linkreport

The University of Maryland also has a database of off-campus housing: http://www.och.umd.edu/OCH/Default.aspx. You don't have to be a UMCP student to use it.

Granted, most of that housing is in Maryland, but if you're interning with an agency or private company in Maryland, this website might help.

by Greenbelt Gal in Interning in DC? Here’s how to find a place to live. on Apr 29, 2016 2:22 pm • linkreport

Families in my church house interns almost every Summer. A parent whose kid is coming to DC for the Summer and knows about our church will contact our church and say their kid needs a play to live, then our church sends out a message to the church asking people to open their house. A lot of times, they host the intern for free. Other times, the intern/parents insist on paying something.

So, if you have a home church, looking into DC area churches that are affiliated with your home congregation is another way to go.

by jh in Interning in DC? Here’s how to find a place to live. on Apr 29, 2016 2:18 pm • linkreport

Support Us