Breakfast links: Unfortunate contradictions
Cyclist killed in Arlington: A cyclist was struck and killed at the an Arlington intersection where officials have been planning safety improvements. The driver remained on the scene and is cooperating. (ARLnow)
Arlington, DC really friendly: DC got upgraded from Bronze to Silver in the Bicycle Friendly Community rankings. In new Pedestrian Friendliness rankings, and Arlington (already also Silver for biking) was one of the first 5 Gold level communities. (WashCycle, BeyondDC)
Walmart a wash for jobs: 2 years after a Walmart opened in a Chicago neighborhood, the number of jobs lost by businesses that closed was essentially equal to the number of jobs created by Walmart. The businesses that closed also had paid similar wages and benefits to the new Walmart jobs. (Post)
Schumer wants Amtrak 'no-ride' list: After officials reported that al Qaeda had discussed targeting trains, Senator Chuck Schumer called for a "no-ride" list and passenger screening on Amtrak. (NYT, Matt')
More rest for operators?: The Tri-State Oversight Committee wants to increase the time off required between shifts for Metro operators to allow 8 hours of sleep, but has met resistance from the ATU, since members are cashing in on overtime. (Examiner)
Council divided on Gray budget: DC's council members are deeply divided over the Mayor's proposed budget, which cuts some services but also raises taxes on those making more than $200,000. (Post) ... At least one group says a tax hike won't scare off affluent residents like is often feared. (DFFPI)
PATH crash injures dozens: A crash yesterday morning at the PATH train station in Hoboken, New Jersey sent 34 people to the hospital. The train overshot the end of the track and crashed into a bumper. The cause has not been released. (NJ.com, Matt')Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Metro doesn't have four tracks. That's not why maintenance is a problem.
- If Metro had been more like Southwest Airlines, it'd have saved a lot of headaches
- 10 big ideas for making Arlington even more bike-friendly
- Montgomery County will build bus rapid transit in four years
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 84
- Building of the Week: Smithsonian American Art Museum and Kogod Courtyard
- Orange, Silver, and Blue riders: Pain is coming in just a month. DOTs: Get moving on bus and HOV lanes now.