Get to know the Silver Spring Transit Center
With construction well under way, Silver Spring's new multimodal transit center is rising quickly from the ground. It seems a good time to share details of this important project.
The new center will consolidate just about every mode of transit imaginable into a single station, to be named for former US Senator Paul Sarbanes. It will include:
- 34 bus bays for use by local, commuter, and intercity buses.
- Kiss & Ride facilities for cars.
- A taxi stand.
- The Metropolitan Branch bike/ped trail.
- Bike racks (and maybe a bikesharing station, if Montgomery County joins Capital Bikeshare).
- Improved connections to the existing MARC and Metrorail platforms.
- A commuter store.
- Three major parks/plazas for civic use and passenger waiting.
Plans and renderings of the project are below, courtesy of Montgomery County.
The design under construction is at least the third iteration. The previous two versions of the design were both quite different. For the sake of posterity, here they are:
The second design was focused around a luxurious "hanging garden"
waiting room. Courtesy of Torti Gallas.
Cross-posted at BeyondDC.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- WMATA launches "Short Trip" rail pass on SmarTrip
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name