Breakfast links: Teeming with Teeters
Teeter to North Old Town: Alexandria approved a development for a Harris Teeter and 175 residences in northern Old Town. Some oppose the project because of traffic, but most trips should come from within 1 mile. (How about a CaBi station there for easy trips to Braddock Road?) (AlexandriaNews)
Yards getting retail: Another Harris Teeter will be a tenant at the Yards development in Near Southeast, along with a bunch of different restaurants. (WBJ)
Crossroads at a crossroads?: The Purple Line will bring changes to Takoma-Langley Crossroads, and some fear that change. George Leventhal says look at Glenmont, where little has changed; but Glenmont is not exactly a model to emulate. (Examiner, RPUS)
One way to get a road project done: The road to a small town in Colombia is in very bad shape, so women in the town are withholding sex until it gets fixed. (Jezebel)
Policies impact pregnant, breastfeeding first responders: The police union is concerned that MPD is forcing breastfeeding officers to work the street. Some officers want the option to work desk jobs while breastfeeding. (Examiner) And recent fire department changes have limited part-time duty options for pregnant firefighters. (Post)
12 arrested for voting rights: 400 attended a rally for voting rights Saturday and 12 got arrested including Markus Batchelor, pregnant Reverend Amanda Poppei and Tracy Loh, who testified at the bike hearing. Will getting arrested have an impact? (DCist)
What a creative name: In 2007, there was a contest to name a footbridge in the Southwest Waterfront. The winner: "Southwest Waterfront Footbridge." (Jake Sticka)
2 competing reauthorizations coming: As the federal transportation trust fund gets farther into the red, two separate transportation reauthorization bills will come out soon: one from 4 senators in both parties, and the other from the House. (Streetsblog)
And...: An engine defect means 351 new hybrid buses need repair. (Examiner) ... Once, the Old Post Office was a new post office. (DC Metrocentric) ... Want to be on the Alexandria Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee? (JTDP)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?