Breakfast links: Follow the money
Team Thomas spends on luxuries: In one week, Harry Thomas, Jr.'s "nonprofit" spent money allocated for youth sports instead at Hooters, golf at Pebble Beach, and much more. (City Paper)
Imagine the L Street cycletrack: If the L Street cycletrack existed, it might look like this mockup from WABA. That, and if some bikes floated in the air, like the one in the lower left corner.
Ike Memorial has windshield perspective: Another writer piles on to the criticism of Frank Gehry's Eisenhower Memorial. It's primarily designed for the view from people speeding past in cars, not as a usable public space. (New Urban Network)
Gray supports aerial Dulles station: Mayor Gray has endorsed the aboveground Dulles station after talking with Govrenor McDonnell and former Congressman Tom Davis. DC's MWAA board members may still support the underground choice. (Post)
Gowdy, unexpected champion of DC autonomy: Trey Gowdy, the freshman Republican heading DC oversight in the House, is not seeking to score political points by messing with DC's budget because, sensibly, it's not important to South Carolina voters. (TNR)
Rage against the machine: A man wielding a shotgun and a hammer emerged from the woods along the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and smashed an SUV that had a speed camera mounted to it. (Washington Times)
Hate crimes shift, but still under-reported: DC's police chief says that the a greater portion of city's hate crimes are targeting whites and Latinos. Even still, officials lament under-reporting of all hate crimes. (Examiner, Post)
Community polices trail: DC's Guardian Angels, as well as our own Stephen Miller, are uniting neighbors to patrol the Metropolitan Branch Trail. Police recently arrested ruffians who attacked trail users. (Post)
And...: The dispute over a vacant house in upper NW drips with pretension and pedigree. (Post) ... DC will get 1,000 more efficient LED streetlights in alleys. (TBD) ... A recent critique of Fairfax's affordable housing policy may carry a partisan tinge. (Post) ... Horse manure threatens drinking water. (TBD)Have a tip or Team Thomas receipt for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- More on why buying your first home in the DC region is so hard