Video shows plans for Crystal City redevelopment
Arlington County produced a video to explore its plan to redevelop Crystal City over the next 40 years.
Board chairman Zimmerman walks around Crystal City and discusses some of the county's goals, which include encouraging higher density development, introducing streetcars, improving open space and protecting affordable housing.
Some residents of Crystal City are concerned about greater density and worsening traffic. Arlington County has created the Crystal City Citizen Review Council to work with residents to ensure the county adheres to the comprehensive plan.
County planners hope to reshape Crystal City, which is filled with superblocks of bland office buildings and hotels. There are few inviting streetscapes or pedestrian-friendly facilities. The plan also hopes to create a coherent grid of streets.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- Metro policy for refunds after delays falls short, riders say
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- Long-term closures: A solution to single-tracking?
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch