Breakfast links: Provocative suggestions
Move the jail to Buzzard Point?: Tommy Wells suggests moving the DC Jail to Buzzard Point. A soccer stadium, being considered for Buzzard Point, could then go next to RFK stadium, where there's better Metro access. (Post)
Allow bottled water on Metro?: Metro allowed people to drink bottled water on trains this weekend because of the heat. Should they allow it permanently? (Unsuck DC Metro)
2 Councilmembers call for Thomas to resign: Mary Cheh and David Catania both say Harry Thomas, Jr should resign. He agreed to pay back the money he allegedly took from youth baseball for personal use. (Washington Times)
Charlottesville getting bad bypass: The McDonnell administration pushed through a freeway Charlottesville that the city doesn't want. The bypass will likely create demand for another bypass before long thanks to poor planning. (Bacon's Rebellion)
Driver killed cyclist in hit-and-run: Police are searching for a driver who struck and killed a cyclist in Anne Arundel county on July 14. The driver got out of the car momentarily before driving away. (Post)
Historic trolley station to be preserved: The Oakton Trolley station from the Washington & Fairfax Electric Railway line still exists as a private home. The owner is offering a conservation easement to preserve the building. (Sun Gazette, David C)
Explore interactive census data: The Washington Post created an interactive map showing census data from 1990-2010. The map has data for the entire country and there are several data sets to explore. (Geoff Hatchard)
And...: Cities in the UK have a creative way to show how many bikes fit in a parking space (The City Fix) ... Maryland governor Martin O'Malley will introduce a bill legalizing gay marriage (Baltimore Sun) ... The National Building Museum is opening a photo exhibit that explores DC neighborhoods ... Arlington deciding what to do with last remaining dairy farm (WAMU).Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- WMATA's new general manager is listening before he even takes the reins
- What if Montgomery County gave BRT a temporary test run?
- Zig zag road stripes can get drivers to pay more attention