Breakfast links: Won't you be my neighbor?
Military base tries to create its own version of DC: The Anacostia-Bolling military base in SW DC really wants to be a good neighbor, but the physical layout, perimeter wall, and bordering highway make the task difficult. (City Paper)
Social services are a delicate task: If done carefully, building social service facilities can improve a neighborhood for existing residents by showing a city's commitment to improvement and investment. (MetroTrends, Rob P) ... These successful cases are rare, but not impossible. (RPUS)
WMATA stops fighting union raises: The WMATA Board will stop appealing an arbitrator's award of 3% raises for the last 3 years after a judge ruled against them. Board members say riders can't keep absorbing these increases and challenged union members to improve customer service. (Examiner)
NPS enhacing citizen experience: On a commendable note, the NPS has created a free iPhone app guide to the Mall. The app provides details on 70 sites. (Fox 5)
Are drug laws racist?: Nationally, blacks are disproportionately arrested for drug charges. In DC, is the disparity due to racism, cavalier attitudes, or inter-generational households? (City Paper)
Government finances run on cycles: DC only has 20 days' cash on hand. This might sound alarming, but it's typical of governments to experience cash flow cycles. (DCist)
DC has another revolving door of lobbyists: Is it ethical for a politician to hire a lobbyist as a personal attorney? Though legal in DC, the common practice raises eyebrows for the appearance of malfeasance. (Post)
And...: Maryland is charging up an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council. (Times) ... See a mass grave in Prince William County during the Civil War or see child labor in Alexandria in 1911. (Shorpy) ... Congress has temporarily resolved the FAA shutdown. (NPR)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- Clearly we need to have more happy hours in Prince George's
- Metro badly needs culture change, everyone agrees. Can it pull it off?
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.