Mara, the bicycle Republican
Patrick Mara, challenging incumbent Carol Schwartz in the Republican primary for DC Council at-large, told WashCycle he's more pro-bike than his opponent.
I do not own a car and understand the importance of more environmentally friendly transportation in the District. Cycling is a fun and practical form of transportation in an urban environment. As a Columbia Heights resident, I appreciate the bike lanes on 11th street (my home street). I would certainly advocate more bike-friendly policies and oppose the opening of Klingle road to autos. I am also keenly interested in the new SmartBike DC program. It has the potential to be a great success.Schwartz was one of three Councilmembers to fight for roads over recreation on Klingle. During her tenure chairing the committee overseeing DDOT, she passed legislation to add a few more on-street parking spaces at the expense of any larger transportation vision.
- Metro proposes ending late-night service PERMANENTLY. That's a terrible idea.
- This may be DC's most ridiculous missing crosswalk
- Trump claims to want to save our cities, but his and his party's policies would do the opposite
- Is a gondola across the Potomac realistic? We're about to find out.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 88
- Is Tim Kaine a good pick for urbanism? Here's what our writers think.
- Not everyone agrees on where DC's Chinatown is