Watch the Post Office expand across the American frontier
In the days before telephones and the internet, the Post Office was a mark of civilization and a link to the rest of the world. Derek Watkins created a video to illustrate its expansion.
The debates of today are about which branches will be closing. But at one time, the expansion of the Post Office was a big part of the American push across the west.
The video shows the expansion of the Post Office from 1700 to 1900. The map fills starting in the northeast and then along the Atlantic coast. After starting a march to the midwest, the Gold Rush starts expansion along the Pacific. By 1900, the map is well-filled.
What will the map look like 50 years from now? Will the Post Office still be a mark of civilization, or just a sentence in the history books?
- I'm an employer, and I support DC's family leave bill
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices
- Capital Bikeshare will add 99 DC stations over 3 years. Your neighborhood will probably benefit.
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 70
- This building is way too short