Breakfast links: The battle is joined
Cameras: the next bike safety feature?: More and more cyclists are wearing helmet cameras so they have evidence in case of, say, an intentional assault by a pickup truck driver. But please, can we stay away from "war" rhetoric? (Examiner)
McDonnell stops faking bipartisanship: Governor Bob McDonnell filled a key commission with coal executives, and has excluded almost all Democrats and the public from secret government reform commission meetings. (Post)
Sulaimon Brown arrested, does one thing right: Sulaimon Brown was arrested in a traffic stop. Was it because police recognized him, as he says, or because he had a fake police parking placard? (Post) ... He's right about one thing: if an unmarked car pulls you over, it's best to stay in the car and call 911. (We Love DC)
Metro morsels: 150,000 riders can now add value to SmarTrips online. ... If you're riding at Wheaton, prepare for a long walk. ... 88 WMATA managers get to take agency vehicles home. ... Union members get their pay raises. (Post, Examiner)
Small savers get a slide: NPS might resist putting playgrounds on its property, but there will be one at the Treasury Department, which kids at 2 federal daycares will be able to use. It's just temporary, though. (City Paper)
Architects pick box for big prize: The AIA DC chapter's favorite new building is a boring glass box. It's super-green, sure, but not really very innovative. (City Paper)
NYC parking spaces to become parks: NYC parks advocates will turn hundreds of parking spots into parks for Park(ing) Day, and the city has given permission. DC, in contrast, stymied those who tried in years past. (DNAinfo)
Ride with a bell or get strip searched?: New Jersey jails have strip-searched detainees, even those held for such offenses as driving with a noisy muffler or riding a bicycle without a bell. (Post)
And...: Tenleytown might get a 5-story building. Everybody panic! (City Paper) ... Arlington will upgrade some bus stops. (ARLnow) ... A Cincinnati anti-tax group says a streetcar project could be like 9/11. (WLWT)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures