Breakfast links: Hike
Council raises income tax: In a chaotic and often nasty session, the DC Council approved an income tax increase for income over $350,000, but only after adding a 4-year sunset. (DCist, Post, WAMU)
DC bond rating precarious: Tax opponents claim increases could imperil DC's bond rating. Moody's did issue a warning yesterday, but not because of taxes (whose reliable revenue could be a positive for bond agencies), but because of the federal government's behavior. (Post)
Happy birthday CaBi!: Capital Bikeshare turned one yesterday, and saw its 1 millionth ride. Feared problems never materialized, except insufficient docks or bikes. Might CaBi look to corporate sponsorship in the future? (WashCycle, BeyondDC, Huffington Post)
Meet the transit police: The WMATA Riders' Advisory Council is holdinng a forum tonight at 6 pm for riders to bring up concerns over safety on the system. (TBD)
Taxi drivers sue for larger voice: Taxi drivers are suing the DC government over rates and drivers not getting the 3 seats reserved for industry representatives. (DCist)
Davis wins in PG: Derrick Leon Davis won the primary to replace Leslie Johnson in the Prince George's council. (Gazette) ... This is a victory for County Executive Rushern Baker who endorsed Davis and needs his vote to pass some key legislation.
$100 million for commuter parking lots: VDOT will spend $100 million on new commuter parking lots for people to access buses along I-95. Fairfax supervisors worry that some of the money should go to better bus service and that this will divert money from other regional priorities. (Examiner)
Waterfront park a big improvement: Georgetown's waterfront park is finished. Compare its great features to how the area looked long ago. (Georgetown Met)
And...: 2 Prince George's officers were indicted on felony charges for beating a UMD student (Post) ... Orioles pitcher Jeremy Guthrie explored Boston by bike sharing while there to play the Red Sox. (WhoSay) ... How servicemembers asked and told. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Bad Metro reliability is driving riders away. WMATA has a few ideas to get them back.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- New York's subway has a great idea for Metro
- Tour the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers with Google Street View
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.