Weekend video: All 50 state-named avenues
Reader Steve Goehrke biked all 50 of DC's state-named avenues. He created this video of each and the landmarks that line them.
If you're curious about these 50 avenues (actually 48 avenues, one street, and one drive), Matt Johnson created some detailed and fascinating maps showing why different state roads appear where they do.
Today, others are getting a taste of this, with WABA's annual 50 States and 13 Colonies Ride. The ride is full this year, and participants will enjoy a scenic (some say grueling) 60+ mile tour of the District.
But seeing all 50 state-named avenues doesn't mean biking them all in one day. Steve did his exploration over several days. Doing something similar would be a great way to see parts of the city you might otherwise never have visited.
- Shepherd Park neighbors tell car2go users to stay out
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 15
- A sunken gas station sculpture sends the wrong message about the Anacostia River
- America's Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, is anything but
- See the view from a Silver Line train with this video
- "Sharing" isn't a good term for services like Uber and Lyft. Is there a better one?
- Should adding more housing be illegal even when neighbors support it?