Breakfast links: How to build community
BIDs can transform neighborhoods: Former NoMA BID president Elizabeth Price discusses the role of BIDs to market neighborhoods. The BID has brought new businesses and residents and started to create a sense of community. (Post)
Eisenhower Ave still lacking vibrancy: The neighborhood around the Eisenhower Avenue metro station isn't as vibrant as planners hoped. New development plans could help because they include more than just apartments and restaurants. (Urban Turf)
Warner wants Potomac bridge: Virginia Senator Mark Warner is pushing for a new bridge across the Potomac River, saying it could help long-term economic growth. But a new bridge could just increase traffic. (Huffington Post)
Some cities banning plastic bags: DC's bag tax has raised about $2.5 million but some cities in California have banned plastic bags altogether. The tax is meant to lower bag use but could an outright ban be more successful? (Atlantic Cities)
DC stops paying federal lobbyists: The District has ended contracts with federal lobbying firms and will instead manage federal lobbying internally. One of the firms was Patton Boggs, where Jack Evans works. (Post)
Gray withdraws elections board nomination: Mayor Gray won't nominate Robert Mallett to the Board of Elections and Ethics because he doesn't meet the legal residency requirement. The withdrawal prolongs vacancy problems on the board. (DCist)
Can you hear me now?: Metro hasn't met its own deadlines to improve cell phone service in stations. The work is mostly done though and is high-priority for Metro. (Examiner)
And...: Adrian Fenty is hosting a fundraiser for Jack Evans (DCist) ... Don't give beer to DC firefighters (NBC Washington) ... Pepco wants to raise rates to pay for upgrades (WTOP).Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- The biggest beneficiaries of housing subsidies? The wealthy.
- How five local businesspeople would tackle gentrification on 14th Street
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- When airports give your kids a place to play, traveling is far less stressful
- This DC park is pretty much the definition of desolate. How can the National Park Service change that?