Breakfast links: Living for the city
DC homicide could be lowest since '63: The city's murder rate has reached historic lows. If the pace continues, it will reach 108 this year, compared with 132 last year and the lowest since 1963. (Post)
Anthony Williams '14?: With many debacles from Mayor Gray and Kwame Brown, who can lead DC? Colbert King wants Tony Williams back. (Post)
MBT plans fleshed out: A FONSI for Metropolitan Branch Trail improvements has more details of plans: 10-12' paths, better signage and markings, lighting and call boxes. An elevated structure in Takoma didn't make the cut. (WashCycle)
Strip mall to positive mixed-use: An underutilized Arlandria strip mall could become a mixed-use development under a new proposal, which would also retain an organic grocery and CVS, as residents desire. (The Arlandrian)
Join the RAC: Want to join the WMATA Riders' Advisory Council? There are slots in DC (2), Prince George's (2), Arlington (1) and at-large (1) coming up this year; the Board could reappoint the existing members or appoint new ones (maybe you!) Apply here.
Silver Line still at risk: The Silver Line project has used much of its contingency and might end up facing cost overruns. (Post) ... Japan's problems have delayed railcar delivery as well. (Examiner)
Britain debates higher speed limits: A British plan to raise the national speed limit from 70 to 80 mph is being debated. It will get places faster, but doesn't consider the additional cost of fuel and lives. (BBC)
And..: Metro executives are eating well. (Examiner) ... How do you cross the street in Chevy Chase DC? (PoP) ... Md. Del. Sheila Hixson is pushing for sales taxes on online purchases. (WBJ) ... Long DC taxi rides will soon no longer have a cap of $19. (WTOP)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Where is Falls Church, exactly?
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- National links: There are downsides to letting the Rust Belt shrink
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?