Breakfast links: Cracks in the process
ICC cracking: Less than a year after opening its first phase, the yet-unfinished Intercounty Connector is already showing signs of wear; hairline cracks were found at three bridges. (WTOP)
Emergency arises on redistricting bill: A DC Council bill to implement redistricting had a few flaws, which eagle-eyed cartographer Geoff Hatchard detected. 2 areas were inadvertently placed in 2 wards. (Post)
VDOT holding up Arlington CaBi: Arlington would be getting new Capital Bikeshare stations faster, but VDOT is taking a long time to sign off on the contract. Arlington now hopes to install them in the spring. (TheWashCycle)
What can we learn from Dream City?: DC is not the same city it was when Tom Sherwood and Harry Jaffe wrote Dream City, they say: it's "wealthier, whiter and whinier." But plenty has not changed. (Post)
Alexandria picks new city manager: Alexandria has appointed Rashad Young, 35, as its next City Manager. Young will be the first African-American in the post. (Patch)
Weed stores won't bring crime: Ward 5 residents are unhappy that legal marijuana dispensaries will disproportionately locate there. But some evidence says they don't draw crime as much as liquor stores or banks. (Housing Complex)
WMATA fights MoCo energy tax: To close a budget gap in FY2010, Montgomery County raised its business energy tax by 60%. Now, WMATA may take the county to court, as 2/3 of its energy costs in the county go to taxes. (Examiner)
And...: 6 riders on the 80 bus were injured in a crash involving a bulldozer. (Post) ... Driving with expired tags is no longer a criminal offense. (DCist) ... Power-wielding John Hill will step down as CEO of the Federal City Council next year. (WBJ)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Fairfax's answer to neighbors' transit plans: Light rail, streetcars, and BRT
- The DC zoning update has already had triple the public input as the enormous 1958 zoning code. Enough is enough.
- Federal board wants "dignified," dull Southwest Waterfront
- MARC's chief engineer wants to allow bikes on some weekend trains
- Fruit stands abound within Paris Métro
- Downtown DC could have been more like L'Enfant Plaza
- Can you guess the Metro stations in this week's pictures?
Wed Apr 23
Thu Apr 24
Fri Apr 25
Sat Apr 26
10:00 am CSG tour: Historic Shaw
Tue Apr 29