Breakfast links: Cracks in the process
ICC cracking: Less than a year after opening its first phase, the yet-unfinished Intercounty Connector is already showing signs of wear; hairline cracks were found at three bridges. (WTOP)
Emergency arises on redistricting bill: A DC Council bill to implement redistricting had a few flaws, which eagle-eyed cartographer Geoff Hatchard detected. 2 areas were inadvertently placed in 2 wards. (Post)
VDOT holding up Arlington CaBi: Arlington would be getting new Capital Bikeshare stations faster, but VDOT is taking a long time to sign off on the contract. Arlington now hopes to install them in the spring. (TheWashCycle)
What can we learn from Dream City?: DC is not the same city it was when Tom Sherwood and Harry Jaffe wrote Dream City, they say: it's "wealthier, whiter and whinier." But plenty has not changed. (Post)
Alexandria picks new city manager: Alexandria has appointed Rashad Young, 35, as its next City Manager. Young will be the first African-American in the post. (Patch)
Weed stores won't bring crime: Ward 5 residents are unhappy that legal marijuana dispensaries will disproportionately locate there. But some evidence says they don't draw crime as much as liquor stores or banks. (Housing Complex)
WMATA fights MoCo energy tax: To close a budget gap in FY2010, Montgomery County raised its business energy tax by 60%. Now, WMATA may take the county to court, as 2/3 of its energy costs in the county go to taxes. (Examiner)
And...: 6 riders on the 80 bus were injured in a crash involving a bulldozer. (Post) ... Driving with expired tags is no longer a criminal offense. (DCist) ... Power-wielding John Hill will step down as CEO of the Federal City Council next year. (WBJ)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar