Breakfast links: The numbers show the change
Segregation on the rise, in PG: Every jurisdiction in the region is becoming more diverse, except Prince George's County, which has more almost all-black neighborhoods (many quite affluent). Some say living with fellow African-Americans is just what many people want. (Post)
Metro complaints down, bus complaints up: Complaints coming in to WMATA have declined 10%. The only category to increase was bus complaints. Are buses getting worse, or do new bus riders just report problems more? (Examiner)
Maryland drivers get road, pay: The Intercounty Connector will open just before Thanksgiving all the way to I-95. (Post) ... Meanwhile, tolls will increase on all Maryland toll facilities around the state, to pay the cost. (Examiner)
Sulaimon case has less evidence, or more: A Congressional committee can't substantiate allegations in the Sulaimon Brown scandal. (Post) ... But an anonymous Examiner source says prosecutors have found a document that may be incriminating.
DC has 2 of worst 10 public spaces: A list of 10 "failed plazas and squares" includes both the plaza outside HUD and the National Mall. The only US plaza that made the best 10 list is in Portland. (Atlantic Cities)
Vacant property abounds in East Harlem: Some property owners in East Harlem keep whole buildings empty in hopes they can get far more money in the future. But that means less housing and less vibrant blocks in the meantime. (NY Times)
And...: Occupy DC realizes that stealing the DC flag was symbolically stupid, given DC's lack of voting rights. (DCist) ...Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
Clarendon Court House CaBi commences construction. (Twitter) ... And now, no more And Now, Anacostia.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar