Marc: no need to parc
I was planning to write a bunch of thoughts about Marc Fisher's tantalizing-sounding "Don't Build Parking, And They'll Come" article when it came out today. But he says everything I would have, so just go read it. Fisher interviews Harriet Tregoning, who cites the many underutilized garages in new development including at the new Harris Teeter, which she walks past when she goes to buy her groceries.
Tonight, ANC 6C, one of DC's most progressive, will consider a resolution in support of the parking reforms at their Planning & Zoning subcommittee. If you live in 6C (Northeast Capitol Hill and Mt. Vernon Triangle) or anywhere in Ward 6, come speak up for eliminating minimums at the meeting. It's 7 pm tonight at NPR, 635 Mass. Ave.
The full ANC will then vote on the resolution next Tuesday, October 7, 7 pm at the Heritage Foundation, 214 Massachusetts Avenue NE. Having ANCs in support of these reforms carries a lot of weight with the city.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- Can Loudoun grow while protecting its rural areas?
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- Suitland Parkway Trail is a mess. Will leaders seek change?