Breakfast links: Challenges
MoCo big box bill unconstitutional?: The Montgom
ery County Attorney thinks a bill to require CBAs from big box stores is unconstitutional. He was appointed by County Executive Leggett, who opposes the bill. (Post)
"Science City" really just JHU profit city?: Former owners of the so-called "Science City" land are suing Johns Hopkins. They say the deed required JHU to build a campus for itself; instead, JHU will just lease to biotech companies for profit. (WAMU)
Safeway could block Skyland Walmart: DC signed a covenant with Safeway when it located its store across the street from a proposed Walmart site. The covenent prevents a competitor from locating in Skyland and selling groceries. (Post)
Georgetown ok with Glover Park streetscape: A Georgetown ANC commissioner wanted to block the Glover Park streetscape plan, which features sidewalks and a median to slow traffic. He feared reducing car speeds would push traffic to side streets. The commission ultimately decided to support the plan. (Georgetown Metropolitan, Patch)
Can RFK parking lots become ball fields?: A new group proposes to replace the northern parking lots of RFK with athletic fields. NCPC has suggested the same thing before, and it got many votes in the Sustainable DC crowdsourcing site. (City Paper)
Preservationists should be "picky": Glen Echo Park is a great example of something worth preserving. But preservationists should carefully pick and choose what to preserve instead of indiscriminately designating everything. (Atlantic Cities)
Congress wants bike-ped shrunk in TIGER: Congress has ordered USDOT to give less money to bike and ped projects in the next TIGER grants. Those only got a tiny slice of previous grants, though many road projects included sidewalks. (Trans. Issues Daily.)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- This may be DC's most ridiculous missing crosswalk
- Is a gondola across the Potomac realistic? We're about to find out.
- Trump claims to want to save our cities, but his and his party's policies would do the opposite
- Not everyone agrees on where DC's Chinatown is
- What's wrong with this map of DC's social services?
- We asked and you answered. Here's a summary of the 1,380 ideas you submitted to MetroGreater.
- In 1979, was your neighborhood "sound" or "distressed"?