Breakfast links: Recent ideas reconsidered
How will the streetcar connect to Union Station?: DDOT has proposed 3 options to connect the H Street line to Union Station. One option extends the route to the top of the Hopscotch Bridge and 2 options loop down to 2nd & F Streets NE. (City Paper)
WMATA may simplify and raise fares: The agency may hike fares to balance the budget, but may also eliminate the "peak of the peak" fare. WMATA also proposes charging paper farecard users $6 for one-way trips to stations outside of the core. (Examiner)
BRAC traffic study was far off: DoD's IG accused the Army of vastly underestimating the traffic induced by moving thousands of employees to Mark Center. The Army blames Alexandria for approving the zoning change to permit the project. (Examiner)
Few complain about Metro formally: Relatively few Metro riders file formal complaints with the agency. Of those who do, elevators and escalators are the biggest sources of complaints followed by rude staff. The Red Line received the most complaints. (Post)
Montgomery rejects curfew and anti-loitering bills: The county council rejected both bills, the latter of which was considered a compromise. (Examiner)
Cuccinelli runs for governor: Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) announced his run for governor. He'll likely face Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R) in the 2013 primary. (Post)
And...: JetBlue is paying $40 million to fly out of National Airport. (HuffPo) ... The grocery store covenant may not apply to the proposed Skyland Walmart after all. (Post) ... Want to be a docent for the National Mall? (Examiner)Have a tip or streetcar alignment for the links? Submit it here.
- 2.5 minutes of extra walking is not nothing
- The Dutch government is trolling DC over marijuana, bike lanes, and streetcars
- I can take the bus from my neighborhood to just about anywhere in DC
- How two families dealt with Metro problems and other transportation options in the snow
- Cities worldwide are building beautiful, landmark pedestrian and bicycle bridges. Could Georgetown be next?
- DC like Amsterdam? We can only hope
- Sidewalk snow shoveling hall of shame: "DC government is the worst offender" (and Arlington too)