Boxing Day links: Bad garages make bad neighbors
Neighbors object to secret garage: A planned intelligence campus in Bethesda is raising ire from neighbors with a 6-level garage and secrecy around whether fences, bright nighttime lights, or other security measures will exist. (Post)
Fingers crossed for transit: Montgomery County officials are hoping state funding decisions don't cause delays in the Purple line or Corridor Cities Transitway. (Post)
CaBi huge with tourists: Capital Bikeshare's ridership has declined since July, despite continued system expansion. But the biggest decline came from short term memberships, indicating that tourists are using the system a great deal. (City Paper)
Calvary to meet with community : Calvary Women's Services, which plans to build a shelter in Anacostia, has agreed to attend a community meeting after calls to do so from community leaders. (CHotR)
Quenching food deserts: The DC Central Kitchen is fixing food deserts by stocking fresh fruits and vegetables at corner stores in underserved communities. (WAMU)
2011 not great for NPS: The National Park Service had a rough 2011 when it came to their work in DC, but the end of the year did see some hope. (City Paper)
Better predictions for transit projects: Large transit projects often run behind schedule and over budget, but there might be a way to improve those predictions by including local governments and private partners. (Atlantic Cities)
No ads in Brazil city: São Paulo banned outdoor advertising and five years into the experiment 70% of residents favor the ban. Instead of looking at advertisements, residents now notice old buildings. (Center for a New American Dream)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Federal board wants "dignified," dull Southwest Waterfront
- Fairfax's answer to neighbors' transit plans: Light rail, streetcars, and BRT
- The DC zoning update has already had triple the public input as the enormous 1958 zoning code. Enough is enough.
- Fruit stands abound within Paris Métro
- Downtown DC could have been more like L'Enfant Plaza
- MARC's chief engineer wants to allow bikes on some weekend trains
- Can you guess the Metro stations in this week's pictures?
Wed Apr 23
Thu Apr 24
Fri Apr 25
Sat Apr 26
10:00 am CSG tour: Historic Shaw
Tue Apr 29