Boxing Day links: Bad garages make bad neighbors
Neighbors object to secret garage: A planned intelligence campus in Bethesda is raising ire from neighbors with a 6-level garage and secrecy around whether fences, bright nighttime lights, or other security measures will exist. (Post)
Fingers crossed for transit: Montgomery County officials are hoping state funding decisions don't cause delays in the Purple line or Corridor Cities Transitway. (Post)
CaBi huge with tourists: Capital Bikeshare's ridership has declined since July, despite continued system expansion. But the biggest decline came from short term memberships, indicating that tourists are using the system a great deal. (City Paper)
Calvary to meet with community: Calvary Women's Services, which plans to build a shelter in Anacostia, has agreed to attend a community meeting after calls to do so from community leaders. (CHotR)
Quenching food deserts: The DC Central Kitchen is fixing food deserts by stocking fresh fruits and vegetables at corner stores in underserved communities. (WAMU)
2011 not great for NPS: The National Park Service had a rough 2011 when it came to their work in DC, but the end of the year did see some hope. (City Paper)
Better predictions for transit projects: Large transit projects often run behind schedule and over budget, but there might be a way to improve those predictions by including local governments and private partners. (Atlantic Cities)
No ads in Brazil city: São Paulo banned outdoor advertising and five years into the experiment 70% of residents favor the ban. Instead of looking at advertisements, residents now notice old buildings. (Center for a New American Dream)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I'm an employer, and I support DC's family leave bill
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- Capital Bikeshare will add 99 DC stations over 3 years. Your neighborhood will probably benefit.
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices
- This building is way too short
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 70