Then & Now: Corner of 9th & G Streets NW
In many ways, the corner of 9th and G Streets NW is in a different world than it was in the 1920s. But even today, it's recognizable by the architecture and remains a transit hub.
President Lincoln's second inaugural party in March 1865 took place at the Old Patent Office Building at this intersection. Today, that structure is home to the National Portrait Gallery.
The corner is also home to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library and an entrance to the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro station.
In the old image, streetcars prepare to head northbound on 9th Street NW, now a one-way southbound street. Clumps of snow are melting in the street. American flags hang between the columns of the Old Patent Office Building. Across the street a dentist and cigar shop are where today is a YWCA and a Segway tour company.
- Topic of the week: Banning cycling on sidewalks
- A new bill would ban cycling or Segway riding on DC sidewalks next to bike lanes
- No, DC is not abandoning plans for most streetcar lines
- The 11th Street Bridge Park gets a brilliant design. Will it succeed?
- What would you call Loudoun's Metro stations?
- David Catania on Metro, economic development, streetcars, affordable housing, bike lanes, building heights, and more
- A move to strengthen affordable housing runs into political obstacles