Breakfast links: Taxicab opinions
Cheh hails for taxi feedback: An online poll lets you share your opinion of DC taxi service with Councilmember Cheh, who has authored a bill to make many improvements to taxis. (DCist)
Bus burns: A Ride On bus caught fire on Tuesday. Over the past 15 months there have been two additional fires on similar Ride On buses, but they were unrelated. (Examiner)
High prices make DC less cool: DC's high prices, caused partially by the Height Act, are keeping starving artists out, claims Matt Yglesias. He also thinks the only thing keeping housing prices down is poor schools. (Slate)
Do this, don't do that: Since October Metro is trying to move away from hand written signs and replacing them with printed signs. But some station managers don't seem to know the new signs exist. (Examiner)
Not gentrification?: With many of the new comers to Anacostia being black is gentrification the right word? In LA, where Latinos are displacing other Latinos, they use the term "gentefication." (WAMU)
Parking to parklet: San Francisco is adding more pedestrian space with dozens of "parklets," which replace street parking spaces with temporary, privately funded seating areas and green space. (SFGate, Tony G)
And...: A new map of all the planned development in Southwest DC. (SWTLQTC) ... A video with all the maps of the NYC subway. (Gizmodo, Redline SOS) ... A round-up of 2011 demographic changes. (DCentric)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- We know where most of DC's population lives. Does Metro run through those places?
- Term limits are a terrible idea for Montgomery County
- WMATA is considering scrapping the Metroway BRT
- Metro is proposing service cuts, again. Will riders ever see the benefits?
- Our endorsements for ANC in Ward 2
- Here's why it'd be wrong to shut down Metro east of the Anacostia River
- Our endorsements for ANC in Ward 6