Breakfast links: Thomas gone
Thomas to resign: Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. will resign as part of a plea with federal prosecutors, WUSA9 reports. Thomas allegedly misappropriated $300,000 in city funds designated for youth sports.
Union contract up: The contract between WMATA and ATU Local 689 ends in June. Metro officials hope to curb pensions and cap overtime hours. (Examiner)
Ride sharing drafted: BRAC has led government officials to come up with an innovative smart phone based ride sharing system similar to slugging for military and contractors. (Examiner)
Commission vs. Authority: The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission is trying to avoid being merged with the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority. The NVTC claims that the two groups serve different regions and have different focuses. (Post)
Go to college: Chairman Kwame Brown wants to make applying for college mandatory for DCPS students. He hopes to get students who previously would not have thought about college to go. (WAMU)
Blame the government: Foreign real estate investors are less enthusiastic about investing in DC-area property while a local report predicts commercial leasing will remain sluggish. Both blame uncertainty about government spending. (GlobeSt, CityBizList)
And...: DC apartment rents may rise less quickly thanks to new supply. (UrbanTurf) ... Republican candidates have said little about urban and transportation issues thus far. (Streetsblog) ... New York City enjoys the highest life expectancy in the nation, mainly thanks to its urban environment. (GOOD)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Congress gives itself more free parking than its own rules allow
- Without a streetcar, what's next for Columbia Pike, technically and politically?
- Montgomery throws more money at unneeded parking
- "Road Code" bill will make Montgomery County's urban streets more ped and bike friendly
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 30
- ART keeps graduating to bigger and bigger buses
- To a pedestrian, a road's a tiny space with danger just beside