Breakfast links: More about the Metro budget
WMATA to hire 1000: WMATA's next budget calls for hiring more than 1000 new workers. Most are needed to run the stations and trains on the Silver Line or perform repairs. (Post)
Bike lockers get cheaper: Metro will lower the annual price of a bike locker from $200 to $120. Officials hope the price change will mean more lockers get rented and more bikers will opt to take Metro. (WashCycle)
Sarles answers only some questions: In yesterday's hangout, Richard Sarles talked about the fare increase and maintenance, but declined to go into many specifics when asked by the panelists or Twitter users. (Post)
Transit center delayed: The Silver Spring Transit Center will not open until the summer, a year later than scheduled. Part of the reason: the contractor didn't use enough concrete to protect steel reinforcement bars from the elements. (Examiner)
Fairfax wants FBI: Fairfax County wants the FBI to move near the Franconia-Springfield Metro. Rebuilding on the Hoover Building site, which the FBI has outgrown, would likely be cost prohibitive. (Post)
Grants push a better H Street: Four H Street NE businesses received DC government grants to expand and improve their businesses. Councilmember Wells hopes grants like this will help promote "5-minute living." (DCist)
Herndon says no to roundabout: Herndon lawmakers reversed their decision to build a roundabout after residents objected and some initial data turned out to be wrong. The town will instead add a median and reduce the number of lanes. (Post)
Poor kids miss play: Though DC has 101 playgrounds, some lower income kids might not be using them if the area is considered violent. Low income parents also tend to have less time to escort their children to these playgrounds. (WAMU)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- The Baltimore Red Line does need a tunnel, despite its cost
- Metro floats cutting service for the Green, Yellow, Orange, and Silver Lines
- Fears over parking are threatening a new bus service in Richmond
- "Convincing" and "enjoyable" "even with the wonkiness"
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 57
- Forest Glen residents and a state delegate want a MARC station in Forest Glen
- The Met Branch Trail could get brighter, safer, and easier to get to