Breakfast links: Corruption creeps
Commissioner charged with fraud: William Shelton, former ANC 5B commissioner, has been charged with fraud for allegedly stealing $30,000 in ANC funds. He is expected to plead guilty. (Post)
Thomas casts a long shadow: Harry Thomas, Jr. started scheming to embezzle money even before he took office, but he couldn't have done it without the help or willful ignorance of some other officials. (City Paper)
Senator costs DC an election: A senator has cost the District nearly as much Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. embezzled, by placing an anonymous hold on a bill to speed DC's special election to replace Thomas. (Roll Call)
DDOT cancels streetcar contract: DC has canceled the $8.7 million United Streetcar purchase order and will reconsider competing bids. Inekon, DDOT's original streetcar supplier, protested the award to United Streetcar on technical grounds. (WBJ, Dan M)
Performance parking in Georgetown: DDOT is talking with stakeholders about bringing performance parking to Georgetown. Although officials insist it is strictly exploratory, they have already begun the groundwork for implementation. (Patch)
Maryland prefers gas tax to sales tax: Maryland's leaders would much rather see a gas tax hike than a sales tax hike to pay for transportation. (WAMU)
Taxi tumult over surcharges: For two hours, taxicab drivers spoke out against eliminating surcharges like those for extra passengers and luggage. Drivers said the changes would put them out of business. (Post)
Bus cameras show the story: Metro has released hundreds of drivecam clips showing crashes, traffic violations and near-misses from its Metrobus fleet. Ted Harris, acting head of Metro's bus fleet, says the clips are used in training. (WTOP)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar