Mayor Gray should keep promises on education funding
The DC government found a magic pot of money this year, and it totals $42.2 million according to CFO Natwar Gandhi's latest estimates.
It's laudable that Mayor Gray wants to put half toward education, according to the Post's Bill Turque. What's not so laudable is his plan to give all the money to DCPS schools and neglect public charter schools.
Mayor Gray, Deputy Mayor Wright, and State Superintendent Mahaley at a presentation with PCSB Board Chair Brian Jones speaking. Photo by dcpcsb on Flickr.
DCPS schools enroll 60% of the city's public school students. They would receive $21.1 million under the mayor's proposal. Meanwhile, public charter schools, which enroll the other 40%, would get nothing.
This decision breaks the mayor's campaign promises of funding parity for both district and charter schools. It also violates a 1995 law that allocates money between these two types of public schools using a formula.
A fairer solution would be to allocate those dollars according to the uniform per pupil formula that is already in place. That formula is designed to ensure that each DC school child gets the same amount of funding, regardless of where he or she goes to school.
DCPS has completely legitimate funding needs. They want to use the money to increase food service contracts, supplement teacher salaries, and for other personnel costs. DC's public charter schools also have legitimate funding needs. In fact, they have exactly the same needs to feed their students and pay their teachers and other staff.
Public charter schools already have costs that don't apply to DCPS schools. For example, a new charter school has to find, buy, and outfit a building, while a DCPS school does not. But all the charter schools want is equal funding and an equal chance to prove their worth, knowing they can lose their charter if they don't perform well in educating their students.
Mayor Gray still has time to do what's right and fix this by distributing the newfound revenues in accordance with the existing funding formula. Equal funding for all of DC's public school students is not only good politics, it's the law, and it is in keeping with the promise of One City.
Did you enjoy this article? Greater Greater Washington is running a reader drive to raise funds so we can keep editing and publishing great articles every day. Please help us be sustainable by making a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
- More than 20% of people bicycle to work in some DC neighborhoods
- DC added record housing in 2015. That's slowing down price increases.
- How the Navy, baseball, and government planners made Capitol Riverfront one of DC's hottest neighborhoods
- Walkers were left out in the cold after the blizzard
- Nobody cleared the Mount Vernon Trail after Snowzilla. Future storms might be different.
- Did Metro handle buses correctly in this mostly-non-storm?
- If students were cars, schools would have opened sooner