Breakfast links: Smile or frown
Smile for the camera: Metro plans to add security cameras to a small number of its rail cars, but could add cameras to all cars eventually. (Examiner)
DOES overpays: DOES was overpaying for job training for years, sometimes at twice the rate of Maryland and Virginia. Also, some contractors DOES worked with are in legal trouble for improper use of funds. (WAMU)
Bondi responds: Melissa Bondi, who Greater Greater Washington endorsed for Arlington County Board, has responded to charges raised about her past taxes and voting record. Arlington Democrats can vote tonight from 7-9 pm or on Saturday.
Mark Center traffic not yet bad: Traffic disruptions caused by the Mark Center have not been as dire as initially predicted, but not everyone has moved in yet. VDOT continues to work on upgrades, but in the meantime there is a cap of 2000 parking spots. (Post)
Have an extra room?: Some people are making extra money by renting out rooms, apartments, or houses for short times on services like Airbnb, but in DC strict rental laws require a business license, permits and more. (Urban Turf)
MWAA opening up a little: The Airports Authority will reform its bylaws to be more transparent, including posting meeting agendas and notices online, which it to date does not do. (Examiner) ... How about video of the meetings next?
Share the road in bright colors: An infographic by Arlington shows drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians how to coexist safely on the streets, not just in Arlington. (BikeArlington)
And...: Artomatic is back after a three year break. (DCist) ... A billionaire philanthropist donates $7.5 million to fix the earthquake-damaged Washington Monument. (Post) ... Microsoft could scare people away from traveling through less affluent areas. (TNAC)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- This building is way too short
- Petworth residents complained drivers are speeding. DC says it's true, but "acceptable."
- Five bus lines everyone in DC should know, love, and use
- Chicago has examples of a cheap way to bring rail transit to more people: infill stations
- Here's where a protected bikeway could go on the east side of downtown
- A dedicated bus lane and 30 other ways to improve bus service on 16th Street
- DC Council chairman Phil Mendelson is blocking Mayor Bowser's zoning board nominee