Breakfast links: On time, over budget
Trains run on time: VRE achieved its best on-time performance ever, with 92.9% of trains on time in 2011. Ridership was also strong. (Examiner)
With more cars: VRE will buy eight Japanese railcars for $23.1 million to meet new demand and replace old equipment. The price was higher than expected as there was only 1 bidder. (Post)
Alexandria approves waterfront plan: Alexandria passed the city's waterfront development plan which aims to bring parks, hotels, and shops to the area. (NBC4)
DC leads in LEED: DC has more than 11 times the LEED certified space per capita than any state in the country, thanks to its density as well as leadership from both the federal and local government. (MyFoxDC)
Garvey wins nomination: Libby Garvey won the Democratic nomination for Arlington County Board. She defeated 4 other candidates, including Melissa Bondi. (Patch)
Convince drivers to pay more: Getting people to support anything that makes driving more expensive, like increasing the gas tax or congestion charges, takes education. The Council of Governments is working on a strategy to do just that. (City Paper)
Takoma gets TOD: Takoma Park is starting to see some transit-oriented development in the 2-phase Takoma Central project. The hope is this will bridge the gap between the Takoma Metro station and Carroll Ave. (DCmud)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Shepherd Park neighbors tell car2go users to stay out
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 15
- A sunken gas station sculpture sends the wrong message about the Anacostia River
- America's Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, is anything but
- "Sharing" isn't a good term for services like Uber and Lyft. Is there a better one?
- See the view from a Silver Line train with this video
- Should adding more housing be illegal even when neighbors support it?
Wed Jul 23
5:30 pm Rapid Transit Happy Hour
Thu Jul 24
6:00 pm Film: Southwest Remembered
Sat Jul 26
Mon Jul 28