Breakfast links: You're fired
Goodbye thieves: WMATA has fired both of the employees recently arrested for stealing coins from fare machines. The supervisor of the revenue division will also leave WMATA on his own. (Examiner)
Post Office Trumped: The GSA has awarded the Old Post Office to Donald Trump's organization which will turn it into a 250-room luxury hotel. (City Paper)
Bus burns again: A Champion model Ride On bus caught fire yesterday, the 4th to do so in 17 months. Mechanics and union officials urged Montgomery County not to buy these buses, 46 of which remain in service. (Examiner)
New plans for waterfront: The developers for the Southwest Waterfront's Wharf development have released plans and renderings for it's second stage, which will include several mixed use buildings. (DCmud)
CaBi brings in capital: Capital Bikeshare brings in enough revenue to cover a considerable portion of its operating costs. In fact, DC makes more than it spends on operations if marketing and management expenses are excluded. (TBD)
Evans won't let go of 'Skins: Jack Evans wants to use an NFL-funded loan program to bring the Redskins back to DC. One economist thinks its unlikely to happen as FedEx Field is "perfectly adequate." (City Paper)
Where the poor live: Over 20 years, poor African-Americans remained concentrated in a few neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River, while poor whites and Hispanics were more dispersed and moved as neighborhoods changed. (MetroTrends)
And...: Mayor Vince Gray gave his State of the District speech last night. (Post) ... Prince George's County is closer to a 5¢ bag fee. (Post) ... A form-based zoning code is slowly transforming Miami. (Architect's Newspaper)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- In defense of "political theater" for Metro
- Should a "historic gas station" keep new housing units from going up in Dupont?
- Where is Falls Church, exactly?
- Is new housing, most of it for low-income residents, worth giving up an acre of park space?
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- National links: There are downsides to letting the Rust Belt shrink
- Events: Should I-66 get toll lanes inside the Beltway?