Breakfast links: Bills, bills, bills
FTA could regulate transit: Congress's transportation funding bills would give the Federal Transit Authority the power to regulate the subways and light rail lines. The push for regulation came after the Fort Totten Metro crash. (Post)
McDonnell doesn't get everything: Governor Bob McDonnell's ideas for transportation funding get watered down in the Virginia legislature. The House bill keeps his ideas of moving sales tax revenue to transportation and selling naming rights to roads and bridges. The Senate bill would tie the gas tax to inflation. (Washington Times)
HUD helps PG: HUD will help Prince George's County reform its housing agency, which was part of Jack Johnson's bribery scandal. HUD hopes to make the county a model for the rest of the country. (Post)
Gray holds One City summit: Hundreds gathered to attend Mayor Gray's One City Summit. Attendees voted electronically on priorities and ideas and said that affordable housing and corruption were the most important issues. (Post)
Little help from Obama: President Obama included DC budget autonomy in his proposed budget, but hasn't really done much to actually push for it to pass. (Post)
BW bike trail?: While FHWA is studying widening the BW Parkway, a likely bad idea, how about considering a bike trail? After all, it is officially a park. (RPUS, WashCycle)
Lobby for Maryland equality: Today is Equality Maryland's lobby day for civil marriage. If you can't make it to Annapolis, please take a few moments to contact your representatives' offices to support the right of all people to marry.
In Arlington...: Arlington schools could have 30,000 students by 2021, up from the current number of 21,500. (Sun Gazette) ... Arlington raises the rates in the Ballston parking garage for the first time since 1996. (Patch)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Petworth residents complained drivers are speeding. DC says it's true, but "acceptable."
- Here's where a protected bikeway could go on the east side of downtown
- Chicago has examples of a cheap way to bring rail transit to more people: infill stations
- Metro wants to connect Farragut North and West with a tunnel
- NTSB recommends the federal government take over safety oversight of Metro
- A dedicated bus lane and 30 other ways to improve bus service on 16th Street
- Prince George's zombie subdivisions need to die