Freeway construction brought neighborhood destruction
When DC built the Southwest-Southeast Freeway, it simply demolished whole swaths of the surrounding neighborhoods. Photographs from the construction show the street grid that once existed, and the extent of the destruction just to speed driving to Virginia.
Photos posted earlier show the construction in progress, 10 years later, as the freeway moved into Near Southeast.
- Young kids try to assault me while biking
- Metro bag searches aren't always optional
- Focus transportation on downtown or neighborhoods?
- Endless zoning update delay hurts homeowners
- Redeveloping McMillan is the only way to save it
- DDOT agrees to repave 15th Street cycle track
- Vienna Metro town center won't have a town center