Freeway construction brought neighborhood destruction
When DC built the Southwest-Southeast Freeway, it simply demolished whole swaths of the surrounding neighborhoods. Photographs from the construction show the street grid that once existed, and the extent of the destruction just to speed driving to Virginia.
Photos posted earlier show the construction in progress, 10 years later, as the freeway moved into Near Southeast.
- Cyclists are special and do have their own rules
- M Street cycle track keeps improving, draws church anger
- O'Malley announces first projects using new gas tax money
- Can Loudoun grow while protecting its rural areas?
- ICC losing bus service in classic bait and switch
- Silver Spring mall could get massive facelift, new name
- WMATA launches "Short Trip" rail pass on SmarTrip