Breakfast links: Stimulating
DC streets get greener: With stimulus money, DDOT removed a lot of impervious surface. They enlarged tree boxes or added new ones, made medians green instead of concrete, and even created a few large grassy areas. (d.ish)
DC very stimulated: DC got more stimulus money per capita than any state. The money went to job training programs, school repairs, road repaving, and new buses, but unemployment still rose since 2008. (DCist)
Don't drink on Metro: 97% of tickets Metro Transit Police write are for drinking alcohol. They write few tickets for eating, because riders get a warning first under a policy begun after they arrested a 12-year-old in 2000. (Post)
Tysons roads get more expensive: The cost of proposed Tysons road projects has grown from $1.7 to $2.1 billion. Fairfax is asking Tysons landowners to pay 51-90% of the cost. (Post, Falls Church)
What kind of casino development?: Will a casino at National Harbor spur development and create a sense of place in Prince George's, or will it just be an "enclave development" that brings no growth to areas around it? (RPUS)
Enforce the law: New York saw crime go down using a "broken windows" theory of law enforcement. Could a similar strategy of enforcing minor traffic violations help reduce the number of pedestrian fatalities? (Atlantic Cities)
And..: Hollywood stopped filming on a downtown LA street because of a new green painted bike lane. (LA Times) ... The Dallas Mavericks took a charter train from Philadelphia to New York. (Fort Worth Star-Telegram, uvaeer) ... The Hine project has changed over time ... Herndon's new police chief bikes regularly. (FABB)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Car-free housing could come to historic Blagden Alley
- Accounting for population, the world map looks totally different
- Bus stops around DC are getting real-time arrival displays
- BREAKING: Hogan gives the Purple and Baltimore Red lines a momentary reprieve
- Mercedes imagines passengers in driverless cars never interacting with the world outside
- Ask GGW: Is there any reason not to have a sidewalk?
- Events roundup: Changes are coming