Breakfast links: Test the status quo
More school, more tests: DC public school children must apply to college and take the SAT or ACT under legislation passed yesterday. Top teachers moving to poorly-
performing schools will also get a $10,000 annual bonus. (Examiner)
Ban the bike ban?: One group is petitioning to allow bicycles on Metro during rush hour. Bikes are currently banned, but similarly large items such as strollers and luggage are allowed. (TBD) ... Martin Austermuhle votes no. (DCist)
Cap on money orders moves: In the wake of the Jeffrey Thompson scandal, Mary Cheh has proposed a $25 limit on money order contributions. The bill has enough support to pass the council and has the support of Mayor Gray. (Examiner)
Parking and bus get more expensive: Ike Leggett wants to raise Ride On fares and parking rates in Bethesda and Silver Spring. The plan would also start charging for parking on Saturday, which is a good idea. (Examiner)
Reporter finds money for DC: Lydia DePillis wondered why one Douglas Development property wasn't taxed at the vacant rate. She contacted DCRA, who discovered it was an oversight. Douglas will now have to pay $164,000 rather than $37,000. (City Paper)
Earthquake damaged buildings reopen: The National Cathedral's central tower will open for a tower climbm and an Arlington theater will reopen next month, after both were damaged in the August earthquake. (Post, Sun Gazette)
And...: Capital Bikeshare will launch a pilot program for the homeless, giving them access to low cost transportation. (City Paper) ... DC Police remind drivers about pedestrian safety. (TBD) ... Days after it started accepting unsolicited proposals, the Fairfax Town Council received a plan for a mixed use building. (Sun Gazette)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures