Breakfast links: Put up your dukes
No "plan," but a strong intention: There's no specific "plan" to give half of Reservation 13 for a Redskins practice facility, but Mayor Gray is set on bringing the team back to DC, and was surprised last night that neighbors didn't agree. (City Paper)
Loudoun wavers on Silver: Loudoun County has 30 days to decide whether to pull out of the Silver Line project. The county would have to pay $260 million for its two stations. (WTOP)
Gentrification is complicated: Some longtime black residents of H Street are happy to see the neighborhood adding white people as well. Maybe gentrification isn't the simple sound bite we're used to. (Post)
Better bus service coming: Metro will improve bus service along some high-volume routes. Other changes will try to offset the effect of Rush Plus reducing train service directly between the Pentagon and Rosslyn. (Post)
Real-time signs won't innovate: In its RFP for new real-time bus arrival signs, WMATA calls for a proven, already-implemented technology. That means there won't be much innovation or use of open source technology. (Raschke on Transport)
What does a designer say about the new map?: Designer Cameron Booth, whose entry won our Redesign the Metro Map contest, critiques the new official map. There's a lot to like, but the alignment between items is mess.
BRAC II out for now: Though the Pentagon wants it, Senator Claire McCaskill has blocked legislation to do another round of BRAC closures. For now, that means the region's bases are safe from closure, or traffic nightmares. (DefenseNews)
And...: Could DC be the next game development hotspot? (WBJ) ... Georgetown Park will stop being a mall, may get big box stores. (Georgetown Met.) ... Akridge has canceled a mixed-use development plan in Falls Church. (FCNP) ... A developer worries that a downsized Wheaton redevelopment plan won't be viable. (Gazette)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- I don't care what some people say: DC has great transportation options.
- Compass rose decals? More direct priority seating signs? Here are two more MetroGreater finalists.
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 90
- This DC park is pretty much the definition of desolate. How can the National Park Service change that?
- When airports give your kids a place to play, traveling is far less stressful
- How housing vouchers work, explained
- DC's Edgewood neighborhood is set to get more affordable housing and connections to the Met Branch Trail