Breakfast links: Budgetary matters
Slip in the budgetary back door: Mayor Gray's budget proposal includes language that would give the city budget autonomy, forcing Congress to actively deny the city autonomy rather than grant it. (Washington Times)
Gas tax hike goes down: Maryland's General Assembly rejected a 6% sales tax on gas last night during the last night of the session. The tax, pushed by Governor O'Malley, would have ensured steady revenue for transportation. (Examiner)
Wal-Mart slows down: Rather than open 4 stores by the end of the year, Walmart will not open its first store until the end of 2013. Activist opposition contributed to the delay. (Post)
If a parking lot closes...: Two public parking lots in downtown Bethesda close today in anticipation of a massive, 940 space garage. One wonders whether, with no parking for 30 months, people won't just take transit. (Patch)
This boom ain't a bubble: Despite fears of an impending apartment bubble, preference and census data indicates that perhaps the national boom in apartment construction is not only justifiable, but too small to keep up with demand. (Forbes)
The exurbs are toast: Census data show that exurban areas have taken a steep slide since 2010, and growth in central cities were largely to blame. (Streetsblog)
And...: The Howard Theatre, closed for 32 years, is open for business once again. (DCist) ... Rosslyn Metro's second entrance is now a hole in the ground. (DC Metrocentric) ... Metro's Rush+ service needs new signage, which will look like this. (TBD)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Rent in our region is expensive. Does that mean it's unaffordable?
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 91
- The Obama administration says zoning is at the heart of some huge economic problems
- On Thursday, the WMATA board heard about why Metro keeps catching on fire. Then on Friday, Metro caught on fire.
- Adams Morgan could get more housing and preserve its plaza, too. But it probably won't.
- How Barcelona gets bicycling right
- Until someone cleans up this landfill, people are taking a shortcut. Can we make the shortcut better?