Breakfast links: Bridging the gapunnecessary) skybridge, Planning Board Staff discovered a 1999 policy for Silver Spring prohibiting skybridges. The Council may hold another community meeting in January to dedcide.
why.i.hate.why.i.hate.dc: SWDC Blog interviews the new writer of why.i.hate.dc, who lives in Southwest and says he 'hates' DC because he wants to see DC get better. He lives 5 minutes from his job on Capitol Hill, but still drives most days, except the occasional really nice day when he walks. That's the effect of completely free parking: even people who're mere blocks from work may drive because it's easier. (I don't really hate why.i.hate.dc; I just want to see his commute get better.)
Where's the power? The three ANCs along the H Street NE corridor, and the new H Street-Benning Road Streetcar Alliance, have asked DDOT to explain how they plan to power streetcars inside the L'Enfant City, which includes H Street. Since a federal law prohibits overhead wires and in-ground systems seem impractical, they want a straight answer about whether there are actual alternatives or DC is going to try to change that law.
- Bikeshare is a gateway to private biking, not competition
- Judge denies injunction against closing schools
- Short-term Washingtonians deserve a voice, too
- Long-term closures: A solution to single-tracking?
- Public land deals have both benefits and pitfalls
- PG planners propose bold new smart growth future
- Metro policy for refunds after delays falls short, riders say