Breakfast links: Time
No nighttime Purple Line?: The University of Maryland has suggested that the Purple Line not stop on campus after 10 pm over fears of campus safety and security. This could pose a problem for students, who could possibly be up after 10 pm. (Patch)
Ike's family wants more time: Dwight Eisenhower's granddaughter wants more time to reach a consensus on the Frank Gehry design for the Eisenhower Memorial. She particularly objects to its large metal screens as "impractical and unnecessary." (DCist)
Still on the loose: A driver accused of hitting a cyclist in DC has not yet been tried or arrested even after a bench warrant was issued. The incident was caught on the cyclist's helmet camera. (Washington Times)
Unions against transit: Municipal unions in Virginia Beach are opposing a light rail referendum because they think transit competes against raises for workers. (RPUS)
Put a lid on it: One bike shop publication worries that the subsidized helmets CaBi will offer will hurt bike shop business. But with the inconvenience of a small buying window and limited selection, they probably aren't missing out much. (TBD, WashCycle)
New city will be empty: While some cities strive to become better for human residents one city in New Mexico is being built to have no people. The city will be a testing bed for various new technologies. (Fast Company)
LA gets its groove back: For too long the auto city has neglected its rail infrastructure, but Mayor Villaraigosa's push for more and better transit is starting to pay dividends. Angelenos are rediscovering the rail, and they like it. (SacBee)
And...: One infographic shows how long commutes are bad for us. (Cube Dweller Fitness, Bossi) ... A mixed use development near Nationals Park cold be coming soon. (JDLand) ... Kenyan McDuffie is sworn in as Ward 5's councilmember. (Post)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Bad Metro reliability is driving riders away. WMATA has a few ideas to get them back.
- 9 things people always say at zoning hearings, illustrated by cats
- Montgomery will go ahead with BRT, but at what cost?
- The Northeast Corridor carries more rail passengers than anywhere else in the country. What could it look like in 2040?
- New York's subway has a great idea for Metro
- Tour the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers with Google Street View
- The National Zoo has clarified its safety concerns. Turns out you're the problem.