Weekend links: Buckle up
Heat may be damaging roads: The hot weather is also affecting roads. The Virginia DOT has warned drivers that the heat may cause roads to buckle. Evidence of such buckling has been found on Interstate 395. (Examiner)
Riders get no info to evacuate train: After a Metro train got stuck in the heat Tuesday, the operator suggested riders evacuate but provided almost no information or instructions, and some emergency personnel were confused as well. (Post)
Wells is running: Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells says he is planning to run for mayor in 2014. Wells says he is fully supportive of Mayor Gray's agenda, but the ongoing federal investigation makes it more likely Gray would not run again. (Post)
We're #14!: DC is the 14th best city in the world to live in, according to a new ranking. It's first among US cities, just ahead of New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Office development seeks shift to housing: The developer of a proposed Capitol Riverfront office building is now seeking zoning approval to build residential units. The riverfront has recently become a popular residential neighborhood. (Examiner)
Planners underestimate induced demand: Transport planners ignore or underestimate the effects of induced demand when calculating the economic benefit of building roads. So traffic reduction usually falls short of official predictions. (Streetsblog)
Who needs an SUV?: One Portland mom gave up her nine passenger Suburban and now bikes with her 6 kids to get around town by using a cargo bike. (BikePortland)
And...: The Chik-fil-A food truck will begin service in DC this Monday. (Post)... Amid talk about WV's MARC service, let's recall more ambitious proposals. (RPUS)... DC cleared almost 300 trees in the wake of last week's storm. (DCist)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- National links: There are downsides to letting the Rust Belt shrink