Breakfast links: Battle plans
Transportation battle at Manassas: The National Park Service may allow paving 12 acres of Manassas Battlefield Park to build a new highway, in exchange for reducing traffic on 2 other roads. CSG says this will create even more sprawl. (WAMU)
MoCo gets bus bill: Montgomery County expects to pay $12.3 millions to replace the type of Ride On buses that were taken out of service after several fires. (Post)
More Silver oversight: An a Department of Transportation inspector general report calls for more FTA oversight of Silver Line construction on cost and safety issues. (Post)
That smell: Metro seems unsure of what the foul smell in some of its stations is. Theories run from sewer gas to brake pads, but it's possible the unknown smell could represent a health risk. (Examiner)
Teens imagine recreation bridge: DC teenagers brainstorm ways to use the proposed 11th Street recreation bridge. Their ideas include food trucks, hotels, waterfalls, water filtration, and a playground. (Post)
Big BRT or big lanes?: An MWCOG study envisions a 500 mile BRT system stretching from Frederick to Prince William County, but it would mainly involve a massive and expensive expansion of highway lanes.
Green roofs get more green: Green roofs can be good for the environment, but they can also be good for the pocketbook for DC residents, as they are eligible for rebates from fees related to stormwater runoff. (Post)
And...: DC is considering updating a tax credit that helps low-income families afford housing. (DCFPI) ... Tysons Corner's largest mixed use development breaks ground. (Post) ... Arlington cracks down on food trucks. (ARLnow)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- We know where most of DC's population lives. Does Metro run through those places?
- Term limits are a terrible idea for Montgomery County
- Proponents of term limits in Montgomery hope they'd mean more Republicans and less development. Both are unlikely.
- WMATA is considering scrapping the Metroway BRT
- If car commercials were honest, this is what they'd look like
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 93
- Our endorsements for ANC in Ward 6