Breakfast links: Public policies
Problems with MWAA: Federal reviewers found flaws with the MWAA, the body responsible for running Dulles and Reagan Airports, as well as the Silver Line to Dulles. The MWAA was found to have poor oversight and a lack of transparency. (Post)
Maryland Casinos to get assistance?: A proposed bill in the Maryland House would offer tens of millions in relief to Maryland's established casinos to compensate them for the losses from the potential opening of a casino in Prince George's County. (Post)
DC tech moving up?: DC has lately developed more technology start-ups not based on federal contracts, but still loses many start-ups as they mature and leave. DC lacks the venture capital networks which benefit established tech centers. (Post)
PG gets wheelchair-accessible taxis: Wheelchair-accessible taxis are now available in Prince George's County, the first such service anywhere in the region. (Post)
Longer library hours?: DC Councilmember Jack Evans has proposed an expansion of library hours, from 48 to 69 hours per week. The new hours would include Sunday, when only the MLK library downtown is currently open. (Examiner)
An app to explore a city: A Dutch designer has developed a smartphone app which tracks where you have been in a city, and where you haven't been. By showing untraveled streets, the app encourages the exploration of new parts of a city. (Atlantic Cities)
And...: Many incumbent members of the DC Council have raised less money than their challengers. (Post) ... Republican Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan has a record of opposing transportation spending. (The Transport Politic) ... The Washington Post shares views from atop the Washington Monument.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Are public spaces really public when not everybody can use them?
- Cell service in tunnels, junking old rail cars, getting finances in order. Here's what's in Metro's Back2Good plan.
- If racial inequities didn't exist, DC would look like this...
- What happens when people without cars move to places built for driving?
- Metro now has an official plan for getting better in 2017. It's called Back2Good.
- WMATA recommended express bus service along 14th Street NW four years ago. Is it time to make it happen?
- The DC reps on the WMATA board might veto late-night closures