Breakfast links: Public policies
Problems with MWAA: Federal reviewers found flaws with the MWAA, the body responsible for running Dulles and Reagan Airports, as well as the Silver Line to Dulles. The MWAA was found to have poor oversight and a lack of transparency. (Post)
Maryland Casinos to get assistance?: A proposed bill in the Maryland House would offer tens of millions in relief to Maryland's established casinos to compensate them for the losses from the potential opening of a casino in Prince George's County. (Post)
DC tech moving up?: DC has lately developed more technology start-ups not based on federal contracts, but still loses many start-ups as they mature and leave. DC lacks the venture capital networks which benefit established tech centers. (Post)
PG gets wheelchair-accessible taxis: Wheelchair-accessible taxis are now available in Prince George's County, the first such service anywhere in the region. (Post)
Longer library hours?: DC Councilmember Jack Evans has proposed an expansion of library hours, from 48 to 69 hours per week. The new hours would include Sunday, when only the MLK library downtown is currently open. (Examiner)
An app to explore a city: A Dutch designer has developed a smartphone app which tracks where you have been in a city, and where you haven't been. By showing untraveled streets, the app encourages the exploration of new parts of a city. (Atlantic Cities)
And...: Many incumbent members of the DC Council have raised less money than their challengers. (Post) ... Republican Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan has a record of opposing transportation spending. (The Transport Politic) ... The Washington Post shares views from atop the Washington Monument.Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- New info about who rides a bike in DC will let us make the city even greater for cyclists
- Maryland's rural economy depends on its urban and suburban areas
- Farragut Square's virtual tunnel saves Metro riders time and eases crowding. Should downtown get another one?
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 33
- Out: "cycletrack." In: "protected bikeway."
- Metro's flooded stations, in pictures
- Amsterdam plays Spot the Christmas Streetcar