Innovative bike rack makes parking into sculpture
I was traveling recently and came across this object. At first, it looks like an artistic sculpture, but on closer examination, it's also a bike rack!
For bonus points, do you know where this is or can you recognize the location?
The sign says this is more compact than other bike racks. That's largely true, though in this configuration, the rack also requires a lot of empty space around in every direction. In an institutional setting with big open spaces (and where it can also function as art), that makes sense. In many tighter urban spaces, arranging these curved, vertical racks side by side instead of in a circle would allow storing bikes even more compactly, though less artistically.
- The Washington region is the world's 77th largest urban area
- A trade pact might change local land use decisions in a big way
- Montgomery backtracks on a sprawl-inducing highway
- Map: When and where Metrorail fares come from
- The Silver Line might change how you bus to Wolf Trap
- Why did the pedestrian bridge collapse affect Metro so far away from Greenbelt?
- Topic of the week: Suburban retrofits in our region