Boxer to ask for $50 billion more for highways
Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) is ready to throw in the towel on America's future. Friends of the Earth has just learned that she and global warming denier James Inhofe (R-OK) will introduce an amendment to add $50 billion in highway-only funding to the Senate's version of the stimulus.
Already, the Senate stimulus devotes about three-fourths of money to new roads at a time when transit systems across the nation are cutting service. $50 billion more for roads will push the country years if not decades behind in efforts to fight global warming and add choices for more sustainable living. If Boxer's amendment passes, state DOTs will be spending years ensuring that housing far from jobs is very, very cheap while our transit-oriented communities languish from neglect.
Please call Boxer's office NOW at 202-224-3553 and ask her to NOT offer this amendment.
- Community stories show the shift to a walkable lifestyle
- Focus transportation on downtown or neighborhoods?
- Young kids try to assault me while biking
- Some are pushing to limit sidewalk cycling
- Where is downtown Prince George's County?
- Endless zoning update delay hurts homeowners
- Metro bag searches aren't always optional