Breakfast links: Hunker down
Sandy shuts down transportation: You shouldn't need to wait for the Breakfast Links to know there's a massive storm hitting Washington. Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess are all closed today, as are MARC, VRE, and Amtrak, local and intercity bus services, Amtrak, Capital Bikeshare and more. (DCist, City Paper)
Farragut Crossing a hit: About 600 people use the Farragut Crossing virtual tunnel every day, almost double the number of when it first opened. Despite its success, Metro has no immediate plans for any more virtual tunnels. (Examiner)
CaBi gets ads: DC's Capital Bikeshare stations will soon get advertising. Arlington can't put advertising on its stations unless it modifies a ban on outdoor ads. (Examiner)
No love for Hoover: Preservationists will likely not fight to save the Hoover FBI building. The building would cost too much to reuse, the movement suffered from the contentious Third Church fight, and almost no one likes it. (Post)
Bus garage at AFRH?: Another possible location for a new Metro bus garage has popped up: the Armed Forces Retirement Home near North Capitol and Irving. It could replace the aging Northern garage on 14th Street. (Post)
And...: Georgetown's West Heating Plant building might not be worth much unless the preservation process allows adding windows. (Post) ... Is it possible to build a green downtown parking garage, or is it just greenwashing? (Grid Chicago)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Metro's inefficient info displays worsen crowding
- This map shows which parts of the DC area are really "urban" and "suburban"
- Muriel Bowser predicts DC holds 800,000 people in 20 years. That requires a lot of new housing.
- Neighborhood commission catches "height-itis" on a Dupont Circle church and condo project
- Construction is starting on a mixed-use building at Eastern Market. It took seven years to get this far.
- Finally, the stop signs residents pushed for... along with some startling news
- This map shows some information about Georgetown. We don't know what it is. Do you know?