Breakfast links: Elect
Vote now: Today is Election Day. Go vote! If you're still undecided, you can review our endorsements for DC, Maryland, and Virginia. DC residents, don't forget to flip the ballot over to the back as well.
Transportation on other ballots: Voters will approve or reject 19 transportation ballot measures in 12 states, including in Los Angeles, Orange County (Chapel Hill) NC, and Alameda County (Oakland, Berkeley) CA. (Metro, SF Chronicle)
Time change leaves Metro riders stranded: Following the end of daylight savings time on Saturday night, Metro closed an hour early, stranding many passengers. Metro had announced they would stay open the extra hour. (Post)
Storm gives New York temporary BRT: In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, New York City quickly established a rapid bus line linking Brooklyn and Manhattan at frequent intervals. But bikes were even quicker. (BikePortland)
Accessory apartment for rent?: Montgomery's accessory apartment bill would require homeowners to put up signs announcing the space for rent. Lawmakers found the additional requirement of letters to neighbors redundant. (Examiner)
Less driving not just the economy: Total vehicle miles traveled fell during the recent 2007-09 recession and have continued to fall during the slow recovery, unlike the steady rise in driving during each previous recovery. (Streetsblog)
And...: 30 feet of the 1st Street NE cycle track have opened in front of Union Station. (BeyondDC) ... Consistently-Democratic DC could give its electoral votes to future Republican candidates if the National Popular Vote takes hold. (DCist) ... Arlington rules against licensing an all-electric cab company, citing the proposal as unfeasible. (WBJ)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Shepherd Park neighbors tell car2go users to stay out
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 15
- A sunken gas station sculpture sends the wrong message about the Anacostia River
- See the view from a Silver Line train with this video
- Should adding more housing be illegal even when neighbors support it?
- America's Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, is anything but
- "Let's use this space!" say mysterious signs around Silver Spring's unfinished transit center
Thu Jul 24
6:00 pm Film: Southwest Remembered
Sat Jul 26
Mon Jul 28
Fri Aug 1