Breakfast links: Where the sidewalk's too small
Popular food truck spots in peril: Proposed regulations to limit food trucks where sidewalks are narrow could block them in some of the most popular locations. DDOT has promised to grant waivers, but the food truck association is skeptical. (Post)
Voters call for light rail in Virginia Beach: Voters approved expanding Norfolk's The Tide light rail system into Virginia Beach. The city had purchased a former rail line for this purpose before the ballot initiative passed. (Virginian-Pilot)
Will aging boomers bring down car usage?: How will the coming retirement of aging boomers affect vehicle miles traveled? If this generation abandons its cars and moves to more transit-friendly locations, it could have a major effect on transportation. (AP)
DC area turns towards transit use: According to new Census data, transit use in the DC area has risen more quickly than population growth over the past decade. The region's transit commuting share rose from 14.6% in 2000 to 19.4% in 2011. (PlanItMetro)
Puerto Rico, DC statehood link?: Residents of Puerto Rico voted to become a state in a non-binding referendum last week; might the effort relate to DC's? Eleanor Holmes Norton isn't hopeful about linking DC and Puerto Rico statehoods. (DCist; WJLA)
"Mega" recreation centers?: The Leggett administration plans to build 4 "mega centers" for recreation instead of the traditional smaller and more numerous ones. (Examiner) ... Is that more efficient or will it force more driving?
Charges in cyclist assault: A driver is charged with assault after he yelled at a cyclist, swerved and allegedly hit the cyclist, and was caught on camera. Police initially said they wouldn't file charges, but prosecutors ultimately did. (Washington Times)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- If the FBI moves to Greenbelt, here's what it will look like
- Many Silver Line riders have no way to safely reach their offices
- In White Oak, the region's east-west divide becomes an urban-suburban one
- Why is Tysons walkability and bikeability so bad?
- A greener Eastern Market plaza may be on the way
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 16
- How big of a "moat" would the FBI need if it stayed downtown?
- Do Henderson's remarks at Stanton Elementary signal a more harmonious phase in DCPS-charter relations?
- DCPS and charters are sparring over joint planning, but the real question is how to preserve neighborhood schools
- DCPS and its teachers' union are at an impasse over extending the school day. Could this be a way out?