Breakfast links: Veterans
Thank you, veterans: Today, on Veterans' Day, Americans honor those who have served our country in the armed forces. To our readers who are veterans, thank you very much for your service. Please post in the comments so we can thank you personally.
Post not local enough: The Washington Post ombudsman says the paper doesn't have enough local coverage. There are a lot of jurisdictions in the region with different issues and needs, but they all deserve detailed coverage, he says.
Fairfax court goes light on speeding, DUI: At one recent session of Fairfax City court, the Town Attorney recommended very light punishments for egregious speeders and even for drunk drivers. (FABB)
Efficient transit = expensive housing?: A new Brookings report finds that most parts of the DC region are well-served by transit, but the places with the best transit access also have the highest housing costs. (DCist)
Restonians want less Silver Line TOD: A Reston group says the development planned around the Silver Line will bring too much traffic. County plans called for mixed-use development, but a task force suggests curtailing commercial growth. (Examiner)
3 townhouses won't be parking: The Mayor's Agent for Historic Preservation won't allow a Mount Vernon Square church to demolish 3 rowhouses for surface parking. The church argued they're too expensive to fix; others said it could sell them. (DCmud)
And...: 80% of transit-related ballot initiatives passed this year. (Streetsblog) ... Watch a video of one day of Vancouver's transit network. (Human Transit) ... Philadelphia's center city housing market has been more resilient than the suburbs. (Streetsblog)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Shepherd Park neighbors tell car2go users to stay out
- A sunken gas station sculpture sends the wrong message about the Anacostia River
- America's Main Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, is anything but
- Do you know the station? It's whichWMATA week 15
- "Sharing" isn't a good term for services like Uber and Lyft. Is there a better one?
- See the view from a Silver Line train with this video
- Maryland SHA needlessly draws community ire with poor Georgia Avenue Bus Rapid Transit options
Tue Jul 22
Wed Jul 23
5:30 pm Rapid Transit Happy Hour
Thu Jul 24
6:00 pm Film: Southwest Remembered
Sat Jul 26
Mon Jul 28