Breakfast links: Veterans
Thank you, veterans: Today, on Veterans' Day, Americans honor those who have served our country in the armed forces. To our readers who are veterans, thank you very much for your service. Please post in the comments so we can thank you personally.
Post not local enough: The Washington Post ombudsman says the paper doesn't have enough local coverage. There are a lot of jurisdictions in the region with different issues and needs, but they all deserve detailed coverage, he says.
Fairfax court goes light on speeding, DUI: At one recent session of Fairfax City court, the Town Attorney recommended very light punishments for egregious speeders and even for drunk drivers. (FABB)
Efficient transit = expensive housing?: A new Brookings report finds that most parts of the DC region are well-served by transit, but the places with the best transit access also have the highest housing costs. (DCist)
Restonians want less Silver Line TOD: A Reston group says the development planned around the Silver Line will bring too much traffic. County plans called for mixed-use development, but a task force suggests curtailing commercial growth. (Examiner)
3 townhouses won't be parking: The Mayor's Agent for Historic Preservation won't allow a Mount Vernon Square church to demolish 3 rowhouses for surface parking. The church argued they're too expensive to fix; others said it could sell them. (DCmud)
And...: 80% of transit-related ballot initiatives passed this year. (Streetsblog) ... Watch a video of one day of Vancouver's transit network. (Human Transit) ... Philadelphia's center city housing market has been more resilient than the suburbs. (Streetsblog)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- 15th Street cycletrack gets s*** on ... literally
- Hey, streetcar critics: Stop making perfect the enemy of good
- Think you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 25
- If Georgetown had a Metro station, it would be one of the system's busiest
- The region needs to hear the call to action on climate change
- How to sculpt a skyline: Arlington planners rethink Rosslyn
- DC will start saving a lot of money while offering better transit for persons with disabilities
Wed Oct 1
(All day) DesignDC Conference
Thu Oct 2
Fri Oct 3
Sat Oct 4
Sun Oct 5