Breakfast links: Too little and too much
Too little Metro yesterday: Metro ran few trains and single-tracked on the busy Red and Orange lines on Veterans Day, a full workday for many, leading to massive crowds. ACT says they could and should have run more service. (Post)
Potomac Yard Metro could be pricey: One option for the Potomac Yard Metro station, which would cross the CSX tracks to get closer to the planned development, could cost $275-538 million. Developers prefer a cheaper alternative at $149-293 million. (WBJ) ... Here's a map of the choices.
Leggett says MoCo tapped out: Ike Leggett says Montgomery County can't afford to build the proposed BRT system, or anything else for that matter. Leggett proposes a scaled-down system focusing on areas that are already developed. (Examiner)
Still committed to Route 1 streetcar: Arlington and Alexandria both want to move ahead with a Route 1 streetcar line. Arlington will not apply for federal funding, but Alexandria will seek it. (Examiner)
Bike lines to disappear and reappear: The inauguration means that the Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes will be going away temporarily, but that could also give DDOT the opportunity to improve them when it puts the lanes back in. (WABA)
Height limit a "shadow tax"?: Ryan Avent reviews the arguments for and against the height limit (with a shout-out to us). He argues that the height limit is "extraordinarily costly," constituting a "shadow tax" of 22% in 1998 and more today. (The Economist)
And...: DDOT got lots of interest from companies looking to run DC's streetcars. (Railway Age) ... Receding waters reveal still lots to be done to bring New York's subway all the way back from Sandy. (Atlantic Cities)Have a tip for the links? Submit it here.
- Rosslyn's new mini Target fills an urban retail niche
- I'm an employer, and I support DC's family leave bill
- The feds are taking over WMATA safety, which is unprecedented
- Public officials who communicate their plans, listen to feedback, and then fix errors aren't idiots
- Dear leaders, please get Metro on the right course
- Apartments on Pennsylvania Avenue? The FBI building's replacement may be more than offices
- The Mount Vernon Trail is getting some TLC near National airport