Everyone mixed on Pennsylvania Ave. a century ago
Before cities engineered their roads and traffic patterns for the cars, many modes mixed together.
Ghosts of DC got a hold of a video of Pennsylvania Avenue in 1909, showing horses, bikes, pedestrians, automobiles, and streetcars all chaotically, but successfully, interacting.
- The Silver Line's opening day, in 41 photos
- How well do you know Metro? It's whichWMATA week 16
- The Metro plan has changed a lot since 1968
- Did Rush Plus depress Blue Line ridership?
- In White Oak, the region's east-west divide becomes an urban-suburban one
- Forget the Washington Monument; DC's tallest tower is actually in Ward 4
- Who needs Metro? Not (as often) Capital Bikeshare users in central neighborhoods